Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

97 f250 5.8 idles ok, step on the gas no power wants to die,

Customer Question

97 f250 5.8 idles ok, step on the gas no power wants to die, like its out of gas, very rich can smell gas
JA: I'm sorry if I'm reading you wrong here, but it seems as though you might be considering committing suicide or hurting yourself. Am I right?
Customer: no
JA: Okay. Let's try this again. How can I help you? Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: fluctuate. if I shut it off, start it back up, runs good for a bit, then starts acting up again
JA: Are you fixing your F250 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: haven't tried anyything yet just started yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no I think thats it, btw it has 314,000 miles on it
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

Is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
no
Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

Ok

Does it seem to make any difference if the engine is hot or cold or doesn't it matter?

Like even at the first start of the day you have this problem?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
doesn't mater truck starts right up but when you put a load on it it seams to run out of gas and stalls, if you turn it off and start it right back up runs fine for a time so i'm thinking something is resetting it's self
Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

OK

Have a couple ideas for you to try. If the truck has California emissions on it, it should have a mass air flow sensor bolted to the air filter box. Try unplugging it then see if the truck runs any better. If it does, then it's likely the problem.

If you don't have a maf sensor or if it doesn't change the way it's running, then I suspect you have a plugged up catalytic converter. Try removing the O2 sensor before the converter. Take it right out and take it for a test drive. It will be loud, but if the converter is blocked, this gives the exhaust a place to go and the truck should have more power. Both of these should give you a noticable difference right off the bat.

Give it a try and let me know.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 10 months ago.

Hadn't heard back from you, do you need more help with this?