Triston
Triston, MASTER ASE CERTIFIED
Experience:  5 Yrs. exp. ASE certified specalize electrical,brakes, a/c driveability
10186415

Had a cracked thermostat housing, replaced that, thermostat,

Customer Question

had a cracked thermostat housing, replaced that, thermostat, and had a coolant flush done. Now the engine temperature doesn't seem to come up to normal or where it previously ran. The check engine light came on this morning as well. I haven't had a chance to check the obd code yet. thoughts on the problem? thanks Jim
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on steady
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2003 ford focus zx3 with the 2.0l ztec
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I didn't have time last week but I try to do most reasonable stuff my self. the thermostat housing, thermostat and an engine flush done last Friday by a mechanic
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really, just seems odd that the temperature isn't coming up to normal almost like the new thermostat is shot
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Expert:  Ron replied 10 months ago.

Jim,

The most common cause for the coolant temp to stay on the low side can be caused by either your new thermostat is sticking open or you could have some trapped air in the cooling system. The best clue would be to know what the fault code is that is setting when the check engine light come on. Can you get a scan done and post back with the code and I can advise you from there.

Expert:  Triston replied 10 months ago.
The problem has always been a bad thermostat sticking open causing this problem. But if its good have someone check the engine temperature with a temperature gun and compart the reading to what your gage show ( at the time your gage is usually in the middle) if its the same replace the thermostat with one from the dealer, if it's higher replace the coolant temperature sensor if its lower have the gage checked. Please give a positive rating. Thanks
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will be able to check the code tonight, the way that temp is acting is seems like that is the most likely issue. I will get with you in the morning tomorrow after I get the code. thanks, JIM
Expert:  Triston replied 10 months ago.
Cool thanks