Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Brake lights and turn signals not working, what does the

Customer Question
Brake lights and turn signals...
Brake lights and turn signals not working
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: what does the fluid level have to do to turn signals
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2000 F-350
JA: Are you fixing your F350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, checked fuses
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You need to reply to email***@******.***
9/25/2016
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 year ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

Is the cab/third brake light inop also?
Do you have a digital multi meter or test light to do a few electrical tests?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
third light is out as well
Yes I can do a few tests,if explained in detail
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
One item that I forgot to tell you...Before I lost turn signals and brake lights, when I applied the brakes or my left turn signal, the lights in the dash would come on. Almost like the dash lights were connected to the turn and brake light circuit

The problem may be caused by the turn signal/wiper switch we call the multifunction switch. But lets do a couple electrical checks to make sure. First go to the brake light switch and check for power solid light green wire with the switch plugged and step on and off the brake pedal. See if that wire has power when you step on the brake pedal.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, already replaced the multi function switch no change.
still check the brake light switch?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
key on, brake applied, power to solid green wire connected to brake switch on brake pedal

Ok. You will need to take the trim panels off the steering column and check the wiring connectors at the turn signal switch/wiper switch. We have seen the wiring pull loose from the connector for the switch. Check for power on the LIGHT GREEN wire at the turn signal switch. The power from the left and right brake lights goes through the switch and the power for the third brake light goes straight from the brake light switch to the third brake light. You may want to check the bulbs in the third brake light.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tested for power on light green solid wire attached to multifunction switch; no power when connected and no power when I removed the connector and tested from the front of the connector; key still in the on position
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Good news, brake light bulb was blown. swapped bulbs with box lights.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
High mount brake light bulb

Make sure you are on the correct wire. Below is a picture of the connector. The wire is in pin #511.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No power on pin#511;power on pin#44 and Pin#385

Unplug the flasher relay. It is in a black relay box under the dash. You should not have power on those two wires unless the turn signals are on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no sure what I am looking for. Is the relay in the fuse panel? Looking for a round flasher relay under dash, not able to locate it. Can you send a picture of its location?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok think I located relay under dash, two relays together; one black one blue. Removed blue relay; Tested for power, only terminal #2 has power, when key on turn signals activated.

Do you have a trailer harness on the rear of the vehicle?

Is it factory or added on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
add on / connected to existing harness
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
or possibly another harness not sure

You may want to inspect the wiring. You should not have power on pin #2 with the relay removed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what am I checking for

Wait. Do you still have power on pin #2 with the turn signal switch unplugged?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
with connector 230b disconnected I still have power to Pin#2

Check the right front turn signal bulb and socket. Pin #2 goes to the right front turn signal. You have a short to power on the right front.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok I will check it in the morning, can I contact you back on this chat line?

Just reply back on this post when you are ready. I will be on line tomorrow afternoon.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked the front right turn signal socket and wiring, not bear wires or signs of chafing on the harness. There is a wire spliced in for the plow lights which I removed. Still not turn signals; check for power on Pin#511 no power.Note: Earlier I mentioned that when I apply the brakes, my dash lights & taillights come on and radio dims ( I assume because the running light circuit is being activated)

#511 gets power straight from the brake light switch when the brake pedal is depressed. And since you have power at the switch, the wire is broken between the brake switch and the multifunction switch. But I wonder what else is wired into the light circuit that would cause the draw and cause the lights to dim. Either a large load or a short with high resistance causing this problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
should I do a lay over from the solid green wire at the brake switch to the solid green wire at the multifunction switch?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is a trailer brake controller which I will disconnect and retest.

Try that. Do no splice it is, just run a jumper from the brake switch to the turn signal switch. Also, disconnect the brake controller and look under the dash for any strange wiring splices.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok we are making progress. The brake lights are working now. The brake controller has been eliminated. No turn signals (the flasher was reinstalled); the dash lights still come on when the brake pedal is depressed.

So all you did was unplug the controller?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I did a layover plus disconnect the controller

Follow the harness down the column and make sure it is not pinched between the column and the metal dash brace.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is this to correct the turn signals?

The harness may be cut somewhere down the steering column.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, removed the harness from the multifunction switch out of the steering column, no breaks or chafing on wires, inspected harness to where the harness passes through the firewall, no pinched, broken or chafed wires.Still have brakes lights; no turn signals and running lights (interior and exterior) come on when brake pedal is depressed

Are you still getting power on pin #2 at the turn signal switch?
Also check pins #5 an #9.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is the connector attached to the multifunction switch? C230b

Correct.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have power on #511 when the brake pedal is depressed
The test light is faint (not bright) on #44 & #385
Power on #9 when headlights are turned on

There is something shorting the system out. You will need to go under the vehicle and follow the harness to the rear tail lights.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, that will have to be done tomorrow. Thanks for your help this far, I will reply back once I have checked out the harness

This may end up requiring a hands on electrical mechanic to find the problem. But keep me informed.

A. Penland
A. Penland