Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

My truck just had the transmission rebuilt and ran fine

Customer Question
until getting it back now...
My truck just had the transmission rebuilt and ran fine until getting it back now it idles fine but apply the gas while driving and it begins to stall and sometimes does. The fuel pump is about 2years old but when I picked up the truck there was barely enough gas to get to the station and figured that was the problem only it has continued with a half tank. Thanks for any help
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: It was replaced about 2 years ago along with the filter and was doing great until the transmission went.
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 97 4.6 v8 f150 lariat
JA: What year is your F150?
Customer: 97
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I'm attempting to as I just spent 1400 on a battery and transmission rebuild. Haven't tried anything yet although it seems like it was getting better the longer it runs and at idle I can give it all the gas I want without a stall and it sounds great
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's about it, I'm just trying to see if it could be just the filter or the exhaust sensors
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
9/22/2016
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.I apologize for any delay.

It is very possible the issue is a restricted fuel filter.If the fuel tank was that low when you picked up the truck the debris build up in the fuel tank can make its way through the fuel pump and restrict the fuel filter.If you did not replace your fuel filter I would have this done to see if this resolves the fault here.I have seen restricted fuel filters cause this before.

If this does not correct this issue it would be a good idea to have the transmission replacement facility that did the work inspect your vehicle to see if they can find any issues they may have caused since this wasnt an issue before the transmission was repaired.In some cases they can leave off vacuum hoses or wiring connections or even damage a component on accident and cause this here.But this does sound more fuel related and low fuel in a tank can cause a plugged fuel filter as well as damage the fuel pump in some cases.It is best to always have at least 1/4 tank in the fuel tank to prevent premature pump failure.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.A 5 star rating is appreciated.Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah I wasn't happy to get it with almost no fuel I always leave a quarter plus in it. I'm going to go get a fuel filter and replace it. I'll let you know the results and if i need more help ask you. Thank you

Your welcome.Let me know how this turns out here and if you need anything else.Feel free to rate my help above.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hey bud I just drove to the auto store and i had to take it around the block again because the truck was running strong and only bogged down once, I'm still going to get the filter unless you say different as it's pretty rusty and old looking for something I could swear was a year old. Also before rebuilding the transmission and putting 100 miles about on it it sat a year anything else I should get here additives, spray etc.

You might add some injector cleaner to the fuel tank as this will help clean up any injector issues.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just changed the filter it definitely needed replacement it looks like dirty oil and I'm a little worried because it has what appears to be metallic silver and gold flakes and black sand particles what could it be? If I want to take down the tank and clean it before I fill up next do you know the tools I need and the socket sizes by chance I know you don't need much to do it, also obviously I take it down empty whatever fuel is left what is best for cleaning it out denatured alcohol etc?

The metallic pieces are generally a sign of the fuel pump coming apart.Even though it was recently replaced there is a chance it is failing again and may be due to the low fuel issue it had.I dont show what tools are needed to remove the tank on your model but usually any shield around the tank is removed and then the fuel tank filler hose and breather vent disconnected and the tank lowered by removing the straps that secure the tank,use a jack to support the tank and lower it out disconnecting any fuel lines as it is lowered.It can be a pain on the ground and is best done on the ground if the tank is near empty unfortunately.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's what I figured I'm hoping they are from the original pump as it came out in pieces almost it was incredible it even worked. Is denatured alcohol the best way to flush and clean the tank if I take it down? For some reason the trunk is running worse now in p or n it kinda only goes up to 3k and idles like it also doesn't seem like it's shifting correctly.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I put in a can of sea foam, anything else I should add or do to the fuel or oil which was just replaced?? Thanks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello?? I'm trying to send you the video of the truck running so you can see and hear it and get a better idea but this won't let me anything special I have to do to send it?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What should I do about the fact it's running worse much worse than before I replaced the filter, like I said it gets to 3k rpm and stays won't go more even with the pedal to the floor
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Again is denatured alcohol the best thing to clean and rinse the tank? How exactly do you clean it just pour it in and slosh it around awhile do I need to add anything else to abrade any gunk?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello??

I apologize for the delay as an emergency had come up and I couldnt get back here until now.

I have used straight gasoline to flush out the tank before after it is drained.Ive added fresh gas about a gallon or two and rolled the tank around to slosh the fuel then drained it again.

If you want to send a video you would need to upload it to Youtube and keep it public then send me the link.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician