Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Have an f150 4.6 2 valve with a p0340 recurring code truck

Customer Question

have an f150 4.6 2 valve with a p0340 recurring code truck has had heads replaced ,new timing chains (set up with timing fixtures) cam,crank sensors,ecm and wiring harness replaced and alt still getting the p0340 code
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: no
JA: What year is your F150?
Customer: 2007
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes what I wrote in the begining
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

all parts were new including PCM

how fast does the DTC come back when you clear it, right away ,or you have drive few miles?

was the connector on cam sensor , what are you getting on these wires do you have 2 wires or 3 wires on it

have they ohmed out for continuity in the wiring harness wires between pcm and cam sensor ?

please let me know

Thank You
Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a single cam sensor motor to wire connector he has been omed of even check the AC voltage at the sensor and the computer the cade sets after 2 ignition Cycles

I will open your question for another expert to help you on it maybe they ran into it before

you changed everything and check the wiring ,I have not ran into this one before

good luck

Expert:  david craig replied 1 year ago.

Hi Im David. you getting any rattling noises?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There are no rattling noises of any kind in this motor it's quiet if you see the original post I made it has new heads a new PCM new timing component kit new sensors the timing chains were set up with the timing fixtures in the sensors and wiring harness has been replaced

i saw that. its just a question.

Faulty Camshaft Position Sensor - Camshaft Position Sensor harness is open or shorted - Camshaft Position Sensor circuit poor electrical connection - Faulty starter motor - Starting system circuit - Weak battery ...those are possible causes. i know everything was replaced.

it is my opinion that the camshaft position sensor is not sensing the piston position either due to a faulty sensor or the timing being a hair off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The timing has been checked twice with the timing fixtures the wiring harness has been replaced hiren replace the alternator with a new alternator to eliminate any RF interference the battery has already been replaced in it not due to this problem but it is new also Cam and crank sensor have also been replaced numerous times

ok. im going to look at a print. give me a sec

you need to do a continuity test of the sensor wiring from the sensor to the pcm

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has been done numerous times shows good

did you replace the cam sensor with oem?

also did you check for shorts to ground when you checked for continuity?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced it with oe and aftermarket no change

how about checking short to ground on the cam sensor wires

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We check short to ground and also replace the cam sensor wiring harness separately from the other harness complete with insulation RF blocking all new from the sensor to the PCM

have you compared the resistance readings of both cam sensors?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have compared to resistance and the ac voltage on 4 different sensors

well then the only thing left to do is scope the sensor and then im out of ideas

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About ready to say uncle in this one myself I've already scoped the sensor see no problem there Caseyville to just correct the resistance is correct not a short to ground new wiring harness still to no avail

never had a problem like this that i couldnt figure out. theres no sense to it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree 100% I haven't seen anything like this in my 38 years of doing this

well we gave it a shot. sorry i couldnt be any help, ill opt out and let someone else chime in if you want.

Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Different expert here.

This issue would be a lot easier to diagnose with a scan tool capable of displaying that PID - all the scope does here is re-assure us the sensor is sending a signal, we need to find out what the heck is the PCM doing with that signal and why.

Would it be possible for you to get a hold of a IDS/VCM or something equivalent to it?