Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I'm trying to bypass power steering and AC on my 2008 ford

Customer Question
focus JA: When was the fluid...
I'm trying to bypass power steering and AC on my 2008 ford focus
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: the pump is dead
JA: Are you fixing your Focus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: fixing it myself, just trying to delete PS and AC right now so I can at least drive it
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
9/20/2016
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 year ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

You cannot by pass the power steering and the AC together at the same time. They are on the same side of the water pump and they are both grooved pulleys and the water pump is a smooth pulley. Plus, driving the vehicle with the power steering pump disabled can damage the power steering rack and pinion due to the lack of power steering fluid circulating and is needs to be cooled by the power steering cooler mounted in front of the radiator.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
basically I don't have the money at the moment to fix the power steering problem and need a temporary fix. My rack and pinion needs to be replaced anyways but is there a way to just bypass the power steering pulley so I can at least get to work and back (5 miles each way)

Not really. The belt will not route properly to do that. And there is no place to mount another pulley to bypass it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Shoot worth a shot! Thanks for the help anyways!

Your welcome.

A. Penland
A. Penland