Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Stuck in 4x4 and the switch in the dash is not working, Just

Customer Question
Stuck in 4x4 and the...
Stuck in 4x4 and the switch in the dash is not working
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: Just started
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 99 f150 4.6
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried gem module and shift motor but cant put shift motor on cause its stuck in 4x4 l
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The swith in dash is not working and i cant take it out of 4x4
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
9/14/2016
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Have you attempted to put the truck in neutral with your foot on the brake then shift out or 4 low?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The switch is not working so i cant do it that way

The transfer case only shifts out of 4 low with the truck in neutral and the brake applied.

I am asking if you tried that method?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i tried that method

Ok. There is a transfer case shift relay module which does go bad. It is what changes the motor direction by reversing polarity from the GEM module. First, have you checked all the fuses under the hood and under the dash?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i check them but not quite sure which one controls the 4x4 but i have check them

Ok. Are the brake lights working on the truck?

You could go directly to the shift motor and apply power and ground on the yellow and orange wire. Reversing polarity caused the motor to rotate clockwise or counter clockwise. That will tell you if it is your shift motor or the likely shift relay module or even a broken wire.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have took the shift motor out and cant put it back in cause it is stuck 4low and the new motor won't go unto the trasfer case cause its in 2wd

Can you turn the shaft on the transfer case with pliers?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No i tried that

You should be able to. The transfer case might be the problem. did you plug the original shift motor in while removed and see if the motor will turn with the switch? Or apply your own power and ground to see if it works?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No i just took the old one off had to turn it in to oreillys for core fee so i cant put that one back on

That sucks. You should be able to turn the lever on the t-case by hand. I wonder if thats the problem. But you can still plug in the new one and see if it moves in either direction

That will tell you if you have an electrical concern or the t-case is stuck.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just tried to c if i had current coming to the solinoid behind the battery and there was no current there

That is all the service info I have. I will open the question up to other experts.

Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Would you like me to try and help?

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician