Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

This has been an intermittent problem that goes back to July

Customer Question
Ok. This has been an...
Ok. This has been an intermittent problem that goes back to July 4. When driving my 07 explorer for at least 45 minutes in 90 plus temps it starts to act like its revving or something. About
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: battery and lights are fine. About 4 weeks ago we drove it to say and back and it started revving on the way back home. Trip was about 30 miles Utes 1 way ate about an hour then home. About halfway home it started to act up. Next day there was tranny fluid under vehicle. Had it towed. Original thought was seal but vehicle did not Leak a drop when it was at the shop and after they drove it no leak. 2 weeks later I picked it up. For 2 weeks iceberg driving it to work and back give us about 45-55 minutes round trip. Only yesterday when I
JA: Are you fixing your Explorer yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: when I got within smile of my house it started driving funny again revving like. No tranny fluid leak this time though but I didn't drive it far after it started.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Had tranny rebuilt last year. Had about 15000 miles on it. Only seems to act up when really really hot. Wondering if it's something with cooling system. Tranny fluid was fine when checked. Level was fine and good color no smell Radiator reservoir tank is almost to full ihot line and it's been parked since 6 last night
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
9/10/2016
Ford Mechanic: Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech replied 1 year ago
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

When it acts up does it sound similar to a jet engine noise? If so then check the coolant level in the actual radiator, not just the overflow. Oftentimes the overflow will be full and the radiator will be low. If it is low then from under the vehicle look at the two radiator mounts for any dried coolant. It will be a tan color. If any evidence of dried tan colored crusty residue on the mounts then using a flashlight look through the radiator fan at the inside of the radiator, they usually leak very slowly along the edges on the fan side of the radiator. If OK then check the thermostat housing for leaks. Look for any tan crusty residue where the housing bolts to the cylinder head and also down in the valley under the intake manifold.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. Just went out and checked. Radiator is slam full of coolant so I did not look any farther. Any other suggestions!

Was the engine hot or cold when you checked? When the revving occurs is it a fan rushing jet type noise?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cold

OK thanks.

If this is a fan rushing jet sound noise (asked twice with no response) its either from the engine running too hot or the trans running too hot causing the electronic fan clutch to ramp up and the shift points to be extended in attempt to cool the engine/ transmission. I would still inspect the areas I mentioned for coolant leakage. There could also be an air pocket trapped in the cooling system. At this point, both the engine and transmission temp will need to be monitored at the time of the fault occurring. Either with a generic scanner/code reader that can display engine data or dealer installed flight recorder.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure if it's a fan noise or not. Had clutch fan replaced couple months ago.

Temp gauges very inaccurate on these also, don't move from normal until almost overheated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not good

Fan clutch replaced for this same concern?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm so confused but yes. Went with a used one.

OK so somebody heard a roaring type noise that led to replacing it. If there are no coolant leaks then more than likely the transmission is intermittently overheating,.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What would cause tranny to overheat from time to time ?

Restriction in the trans cooler, torque converter lock up clutch slipping slightly, clogged fins on the trans cooler or radiator restricting airflow.

Hello again,

Just checking in to see if you need further assistance. If you are satisfied with your answer, please respond with "I am satisfied with your answer" or "your answer helped". I will then forward that response to the site admin so my feedback can be updated.

Thanks!

Kenny Z

Kenny Z.
Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech