Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a Ford f150 that came w/o parking assist. I had to

Customer Question
I have a Ford f150...
I have a Ford f150 that came w/o parking assist. I had to replace my rear bumper and the auto parts guy had a used one with the parking assist so we bought it. I then bought the parking assist module for the cab and hooked everything up but it's still not working? any ideas? Its a 2012 btw
JA: What year is your F150?
Customer: 2012
JA: Are you fixing your F150 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, we are doing it ourselves. We just hooked everything up in to the factory plugs
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope that should be it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
9/9/2016
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

I know on my 2005 F350 with park assist, there was or is also a park assist switch on the dash, did you also install that?

Actually, after looking at the wiring diagram, I don't see one.

I do see a fuse though, so check the f34 fuse in the body control module.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We had checked the fuse last week before we realized we needed the module. I will double check that again. I was wondering if there was something we needed to turn on or if the module need a power supply separate form the wiring harness?

that fuse I mentioned is the power supply.

make sure you use a voltmeter or 12 volt test light to check both sides of that fuse, with the key on run.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry about the delay in getting back to you, I was out of town. Anyway we test the fuse with a 12 v test light and both slot and the fuse are lighting up. Based on further research I think the issue is in the software. Online I can see that on the Dash menu if you go to "Settings" > "Driver Assist", there is an option to "Turn off Parking Assist" but I don't have that option because it didn't come from the factory with it. Any idea how to turn that on?

Perhaps with a scan tool and reflash the software in the body control module. Let me see if I can find an answer to that, give me a few minutes.

Check for power to the module, here at step R1,

I don't see yet that it needs anything from the body control module except for voltage from that fuse you checked, so unless the park assist module itself needs to be reflashed, I would check those steps mentioned it that article first, then let me know if a scan tool cannot communicate with that park assist module. I do see it has a wire going to the dlc, so it appears that park assist module communicates directly with a scan tool from the dlc.

I just read this, too, "If the vehicle is equipped with an integrated electronic Trailer Brake Control (TBC) module and a trailer with electric trailer brakes is connected to the vehicle, the parking aid system is disabled."

So make sure if you have that hooked up, to unhook it.

Any luck yet?

Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician