James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

It's blowing black smoke at take off with loss of power

Customer Question

it's blowing black smoke at take off with loss of power until it hits around 1500 rpm. I replaced EGR and air filter to eliminate p1335 and p0404 codes but still have same performance. I unplugged the ICP sensor to see if it made a difference..not difference noted.
JA: When was the last time the filter was replaced? How has your mileage been lately?
Customer: Not sure where to go from here. looking for any other suggestions and maybe a referal for a good scanner set up under $3000 that will let me graph sensor readings.
JA: What year is your 1500?
Customer: The vehicle is a 2006 ford e350 6.0
JA: Are you fixing your 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: new egr valve
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, I'm trying to repair it myself
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, When you have black smoke coming out of the exhaust is it running rough?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems to operate good between 1500 and 4000 rpm though there is a slight overall loss of power in all ranges.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If the EGR is new and not sticking open anymore then you have a fuel injector problem. Ford scan tool offers an enhanced power balance that will show if a cylinder is overfueling or sticking open. That is what I would do to diagnose this vehicle the quickest.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after panicking when then smoke became white(ish) and constant when I plugged my ICP sensor back in, I reset my computer again and cleaned the MAF sensor. That seems to have fixed the problem. No more thick black smoke on acceleration and the power seems to be back.
Can you recommend a good Blue tooth PC based OBD2 diagnostic/scan program that displays at least 4 sensor graphs simultaneously for future diagnostic issues? I own a 1999 F350 w7.3 and a 2012 VW Jetta TDI 2.0 as well so I'm looking for something diesel friendly.
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

There is one called blue driver which seems to be one of the better ones. This is the one I would go with. If you have other questions please let me know. Also please remember to rate my answer so I receive credit for assisting you.