Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2006 f-250 5.4 3v.... 135k looks clean just bought it cheap.

Customer Question
coded p0012 cam position A...
2006 f-250 5.4 3v.... 135k looks clean just bought it cheap. coded p0012 cam position A over retard bank 1...p0021 same as 0012 except advanced and bank 2....p0172 sys rich bank1..p0174 sys lean bank 2...p0301 misfire cyc 1..p0303 mis cyc 3...p2272 02 sens stuck lean bank 2 sensor 2.... besides the o2 sensor everything is a mirror image of codes. my initial thought was vcts...brought motor to temp and does typical jerky rough idea under load at stop...get going and its fine..a little better a stop in park(unloaded) but still substantially bad. pulled the vct connectors off and took for a short ride and it runs better but still gets linty at stops...there is a knock sound coming from the motor but I would not classify it as diesel sounding. I don't think its the phasers. I think the vcts are just really locked up. the insides of the vcts connectors are both wet with oil. there is no oil present around the mounts on the heads...oil has to be coming from inside vct solenoids thus faulty... is this thinking correct? Truck is clean and looks well mainted..can't see the phasers going at 135k
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
9/8/2016
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 1 year ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

good afternoon my name is ***** ***** I will assist

I agree with your assessment of the phasers.

the other possibility is the guides or tensioners for the chain. it would explain most of the codes that you currently have. the chain is common as well as the guides after 100k

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I guess the oil inside the vct connections is what has me hung up.... There's no way an electrical connection should have a wet oil condition inside... The inside of the motor is reasonable clean and not recently cleaned... And the outside area around the vcts are dry... What are you thoughts on that...,have you ever seen of this or heard of it?

are you talking about the connections for the cam sensors?? oil contaminated???

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No the vct solenoids right on top of the heads on the front of the motors... Very easily accessible on the 05-06-07... They are on the proverbial top of the motor... Nothing above them to leak in or splash and both are wet and on opposite sides of the engine compartment right above cyc1 and cyc5

the oil in the harness shows oil intrusion into the harness from some where. check at the oil pressure switch and see if it is leaking

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you know the connections I'm talking about? They are high and not near anything that could be leaking.... The only oil sources that are near them are in the solenoid below them... Do you understand that...I'm not trying to be rude unless the wiring harness has tiny pipes in it those should be dry... Very strange... I'm assuming you've never seen this before...,again not trying to be rude

yep but the source of the oil in the connector is my concern. it could be in other parts of the harness as well. trying to have you check those areas to find out why

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see how your looking at... Let me go check that ... Hadn't thought to check other connectors... Be back in 10

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I checked the coil pac and injector connections in the two closest cyclianders on both banks and also the cam sensors on both banks... So a total of the 10 closest connectors all dry.... Again the coils are obviously an electrical component and the injectors are fuel... Cam sensor is in the front cover but is just a sensor... But they were dry

ok, then it is localized to the vct. they must be leaking into the electrical connectors.

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I think I'm going to check the block oil pressure and see if it's low.... Then replace vct... And seals... Seals are the only thing I can think of... Thank you for your time Roy

your welcome

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts Roy
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do

thank you, ***** ***** the only way I get paid

do not understand why you have not accepted me answers. I only get a small portion of what the site charged you and the only way I get paid is when you accept my answer Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

do not understand why you have not accepted me answers. I only get a small portion of what the site charged you and the only way I get paid is when you accept my answer

Roy

roy
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest