Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 2009 Ford Escape hatch won't open. You can hear it click

Customer Question

My 2009 Ford Escape hatch won't open. You can hear it click when you press the release but it won't budge
Category: Ford
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You probably have a problem with the latch itself, it may need to be replaced. You will need to climb into the back of the truck and remove the trim panel, you can manually open the gate by using a screwdriver or your hand to pull the lever to open the gate, once open it will be a lot easier to work on.

I do not think this is a wiring or electrical problem as you said you can hear it clicking.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I can send you over the repair procedures from the factory service manual if you would like.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband has already tried to manually open it and it wouldn't
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It is possible to get the gate open manually I have done this before. You have to look in there carefully and find the latch. I will see if I can pull up a picture of the latch.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We pulled manually. It moves. The gate doesn't
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We get the switch to move but it won't release
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Pop that cover off the latch assembly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's held by a rivet
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Might have to drill out the rivet.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Just drill out the center of it, then it will break and come off.