Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

2005 Ford F-150 and the Cruise control has stopped working.

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Have you checked the fuse/s and/or retrieved any trouble codes?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Have not found a fuse location for the cruise control or gotten any trouble codes.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

I'll look up the fuse location, what engine came in this?

Is it a 4wd or rwd?

auto or manual trans?

Did you scan all the modules for codes or are you just saying you didn't try to retrieve codes?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

There are 2 fuses to check, #2 and #14 both in the central junction box, located near right A pillar.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's 4WD Automatic 5.4L and haven't tried to retrieve any codes yet. They want 100 dollars to get them to me...
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

well then, about all you can do is check those fuses, did you do that yet?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am at work and the truck is at home. It will be about 6 hours before I can get to it...
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

ok

Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Have checked both fuses and they metered out as good. Replaced them anyway and took the truck out but at 50MPH the cruise is still not working.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 10 months ago.

The next step would be to retrieve the trouble codes.

You can do this yourself for about $35 but you will have to wait until you receive the adapter. Here I made an article how to make your own scan tool.

Here is how to make an inexpensive scan tool from a cellphone.

I bought this phone Alcatel Onetouch Pixi Pulsar A460G from the dollar general store for $20. It has the android system. You don't have to activate the phone or buy minutes, if you have a wireless router for your internet service. If you don't have internet service you can though purchase a USB adapter. The 2 adapters are either the USB which is a physical connection between the vehicle DLC and the phone or even a laptop. The other is WIFI, plus I believe it would work with Bluetooth also. Anyhow, I bought that phone for $20. Then purchase an ELM 327 adapter from here http://www.obdinnovations.com/elm327-wifi-obd2-diagnostics-scanner-for-apple-ios-android-pc/ for the wifi one or here http://www.obdinnovations.com/elm327-usb-cable-obd2-diagnostics-scanner-with-cp2102-chip/ for the usb one.

Then download the free software here, http://forscan.org/download.html

For the usb hookup you want the FORScan version 2.2.10 beta for Windows - free

If you want to go wifi, you will need internet access because you have to install it right from the cellphone from the google store but it's only like $5 for the FORScan Lite 1.1.3 for Android (Core 2.2.8) - paid