Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2012 ford focus. Brand new OEM tcm is not accepting the

Customer Question
programming. At the final stage...
2012 ford focus. Brand new OEM tcm is not accepting the programming. At the final stage of the process it says it can't initialize. Why is this? Clutch is new. Actuators are good.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
9/7/2016
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 1 year ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, and thank you for using Just Answer! My name is***** me a few moments to review your question and Ill do my best to assist you.

Hello, it wont reflash the TCM or it wont pass the clutch relearn process? Why are you replacing the TCM? Are you using an IDS scan tool and what level is the software you are using?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure. My mechanic told me that it passes everything until the final step which I guess is to initialize or finalize then it says it can't complete it. The TCM is being replaced because of a coolant leak that shorted it out. I'm not sure about the IDS scan tool. He pulled the software from a ford website.

Ok, its a question of if he is having an issue with the reprogramming of the new module or if it will reprogram and pass diagnostic checks and fails running through the clutch relearn process. I would need to know these things in order to know what direction to direct you in. Also I need to know how he going about reprogramming it.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sort of. I found out that it isn't making it past the clutch relearn process. Still don't know anything about the software or tools being used but they are now receiving a code about the clutch so they're going to replace the clutch tomorrow then try it again.

Ok, this is not unusal for it to take multiple times to relearn the clutch adaptive process which is 3 steps. Relearning the transmission range sensor and the shift fork actuators. It usually times out or fails performing the last/clutch relearn. Long as it was able to reprogram the new tcm that is important. Depending on what code stored would tell more. New TCM's have been defective out of the box from ford. I have had several of them.

When there are no codes and it wont relearn, it can take several times to relearn the cluch. Most important thing is that the battery has a full charge when performing this process and the diagnostic equipment they are using is at the latest update software version.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh ok. I'll let them know about this information. So even though the module was able to reprogram, is it still possible that it itself could be defective?

If it is setting a code for the tcm memory failure yes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has a code specific to it's own memory failure?

Yes there are a few technical service bulletins out that says if the tcm pops out these codes, to replace the TCM. There is also extended warranty coverages on the tcm depending on the mileage of the vehicle.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok. The new clutch was worn from the bad module due to one of the actuators sticking on so that's goong to be replaced tomorrow. We haven't had any of the other codes show up yet so hopefully the new module is good. But I'll let them know tomorrow about the possibility of a defective module and the fact that it may take multiple tries the complete the relearn process.

Very good, if you need more help just let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating. I can still offer more help if needed after being rated.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do. Thank you

You are welcome!

Do you need more help with this concern?

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans