Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1994 15 passenger e350 will start up but runs rough. shutoff

Customer Question
in gear and idle in...
1994 15 passenger e350 will start up but runs rough. shutoff in gear and idle in gear. I replaced spare plugs, rotor cap and rotor, fuel filter, and air filter. Still runs bad and check lite comes on then I give it gas then it goes out.
JA: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?
Customer: external
JA: Are you fixing your E350 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: read my email and it has the information. I am fixing it myself again I have replaced fuel filter, cap and rotor, spark plugs and wires and air filter
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it has 256k
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
9/7/2016
Ford Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

1- does use any oil ?

2- have you checked compression on cylinders ?

3- distributor ?

4- mass air flow sensors ?

5- have you done a fuel pressure test

6- ckp sensor , is it hard to start also ,

Have you had it diagnsotic, yours is OBDI ,you need OBDI scanner .

please let me know

Thank You *****

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1. yes it use oil all cars do
2. no
3. changed cap and rotor
4. no
5.no
6. don't
this is not much help

sorry that is ok , i will opt out another expert will help you on it

Ford Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 1 year ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer

Hi there. Different expert here.

The check engine light coming on means the onboard computer has detected a malfunction and has set a pertinent code - which is most probably related to the rough running and stalling.

I can guide you through the necessary diagnostic process that will reveal the root cause of the problem - with the first procedure on that process being the retrieval of that code using a small jumper wire. We can then proceed with our process after we know what that code is - or proceed directly to repair if the code indicates something like a vacuum leak or bad EGR or IAC valve.

Would you like for me to upload the code retrieval procedure? If so, what size engine will we be working with, 5.4L or 7.5L?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
5.4 L. Send me the codes and where to place the jumper wire. I will work on it in the morning to later tonight.

You can see a description of all three-digit codes by clicking here. Code retrieval procedure is attached.

I'll be back online tomorrow afternoon to check on your progress.

Best Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got a OBD1 and the run codes is 998 and 122. I changed the TPS and it still have the same codes 998 and 122. Check engine lite is still on.

I'm sorry, but I'm out of ideas. I'll opt out and re-open your question so other experts can chime in.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I get my money back. I wasn't asking you for ideas.
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer