AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

Thanks for your help, being a novice its nice to have a pro

Customer Question

Thanks for your help, being a novice its nice to have a pro with knowledge. I am removing a 5.8 ltr motor from 1996 f 250 automatic. You gave me step by step instructions. Everything went smooth except for one thing, the torque converter. I have one nut that I can not remove. One stud on the torque converter is spinning along with the nut. 100% my fault-- I tightened it not loosened. Don't laugh! any ideas on what to do now? I am in no hurry this is a "back up" truck.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 10 months ago.

Welcome back! Ok... so, the stud broke free from the torque converter, and now you basically have the torque converter stud stuck to the flex plate, right?

I believe that's the issue if I understand correctly. That happens. If that's the case, you can remove the engine with that stud in the flex plate since it's not attached to the torque converter . Once the engine is removed you can get the stud out with a crescent wrench on the back side of the stud and your impact wrench or ratchet on the nut. I have attached an image of the stud. The arrow shows where it most likely broke free at. You'll see what I mean about using a crescent wrench after the engine is removed

TORQUE CONVERTER

Please let me know if that helps or not. I want to make sure you got the answers you came here for.