Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Ivd got a 2012 Focus SEL thT will not crank. Car was running

Customer Question
fine when I parked it...
Ivd got a 2012 Focus SEL thT will not crank. Car was running fine when I parked it the previous night. Dash flashes "parking aid malfunction" and sometimes a message about hill assist. No gear indication on dash. I connected a code reader and it has only one for no TCM contact. We were packed in the car pretty tightly, and my wife thought she may have kicked the power center under the passenger dash, but I checked if and everything looks ok.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
9/2/2016
Ford Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi Im David, thanks for using the site. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary.

You would first have to attach a scan tool to the computer to extract the associated code that is set, then follow the trouble tree to the problem. There is no reset for this problem...

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi David, thanks for helping.
I'll pull the code when I get home tonight, I can't remember the P# ***** I pulled before, just that it said the trans comp wasn't reporting.
Also, I'm a heavy equipment technician with electrical backround so I shouldn't have issues with testing instructions. Thanks!

Ok. just let me know. FYI , this transmission is plagued with problems to the tune of a major class action lawsuit against ford. you should be covered under all the extended warranties and usually they just replace and reprogram the tcm and in some cases the entire transmission.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yeah, I found the recalls and did as much research as I could find, I just want to be sure to eliminate any issue that may not be covered by the recall, last thing I want is to get my wallet abused by the dealer shop! If it cones down to it then I'll pay for the tow to the dealer but want to make sure it's a covered issue.

ok, well pull the code and we will determine what needs to be done. thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only code is U0101 Lost Communication with TCM, and the code is active...

ok. im going to look some things up. thanks

TO: ***** ***** Ford and Lincoln Dealers
SUBJECT: Customer Satisfaction Program 14M02

February 20, 2015
Certain 2011 through 2015 Model Year Fiesta and 2012 through 2015 Model Year Focus Vehicles Equipped with a DPS6 Automatic Transmission
Transmission Control Module Extended Warranty Coverage
REF: Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) 15-0017 – No Start And/Or Transmission Engagement Or Loss Of Power With DTCs U0100, U0101 And/Or U1013
PROGRAM TERMS
Ford is extending the warranty coverage on the DPS6 Automatic Transmission Control Module (TCM) to 10 years of service or 150,000 miles from the warranty start date of the vehicle, whichever occurs first. This extended warranty coverage will address intermittent symptoms of loss of transmissionengagement while driving, no-start, or a lack of power. If a vehicle has already exceeded either the time or mileage limits, this coverage will last through September 30, 2015. Coverage is automatically transferred to subsequent owners.
NOTE: This program DOES NOT apply to vehicles that qualify for repairs under New Vehicle Limited Warranty Powertrain coverage or Emissions Warranty coverage. Repairs for vehicles covered by New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Emissions Warranty should be claimed following Warranty & Policy Manual guidelines. Refer to TSB 15-0017 for repairs covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Emissions Warranty.

looks like you're covered

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Looks like it dealer time, thanks for the help David!

you are welcome. please leave a 5 star rating for me if you were satisfied with my assistance,,,,,,,,,, thanks. have a good weekend

just checking in to see if anything was resolved

David Craig
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic