Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

It's a 1998 F150, recently been having a problem with the

Customer Question
It's a 1998 F150,...
It's a 1998 F150, recently been having a problem with the #13 fuse blowing, the fuse now blows before it's fully seated in the panel
JA: Have you checked the manual yet? Most vehicles have two fuse panels.
Customer: I have the Chilton book but can't seem to find any answers
JA: What is the model of your '98 Ford?
Customer: F150 xlt 4x4
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I've unplugged the cruise control sensor by the master cylinder and the brake sensor at the pedal shaft
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: There is some clear jelly type stuff on the brake sensor connectors and a poorly repaired wire I plan to fix there
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
8/30/2016
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago
Kevin Bourcier

hello . is this a 5 amp fuse you are referring to ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No its a 15 amp fuse according to the Chilton manual
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Locks the shifter in park and controls brake lights
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Inside the vehicle
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

does that illustration look acurate ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's # 13
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

that is supposed to be a 5 amp fuse

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Second fuse down in the middle row
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok so how do I find the problem that makes it instantly blow
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

one minute please .

Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

have you tried to disconnect the brake pressure switch ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
that's the one up the brake pedal arm correct?
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

no that is only the electric brake light switch . the pressure switch is usually on the master cylinder or the brake line near the master cylinder .

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh yes I've disconnected both of those
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

how/when did this start ? any other work done recently on the truck ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This has been going on for a few months, took it to a shop twice for it to be fixed and Monday the fuse blew, and continues to blow before I can seat it
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm having trouble finding the abs control module
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

refer to # 6 in the illustration for the ABS module

Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

does your truck have an adjustable brake pedal ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think so and I still can't find the control module
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

okay so we have a 1998 Ford F150 XLT 4X4 ? correct ?

Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

refer to the description , it is in the dash inside the vehicle

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have to pull the dash apart then?
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

the fuse that is blowing is protecting the ABS control module . The easiest way to fault it as the problem/cause or rule it out is to disconnect it . Did you have the vehicle scanned to check for DTC's related to the ABS system ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I didn't, but now I can't move it
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

you say the shifter is locked in park ?

Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

did you reconnect the brake switch at the brake pedal ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

fuse #6 is for the shift lock actuator . have you checked it ?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
13 is the only fuse I have had any problems with, and everytime it blows I can't shift and have no brake lights
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks anyways, really feel like you got 28 dollars for nothing. You've told me incorrect things since we started, so I'll figure it out myself, thanks for ripping me off
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

the wiring diagram and fuse diagrams do not indicate that that should occur . Have you tried removing all your brake light bulbs and do you ahve a trailer plug ?

Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

you do not need to accept the answer . * have a trailer plug ?

Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

I am here to help you and I am not suggesting that we have concluded this effort to resolve your issue .

Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

I do want to help you to solve this .

Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

sir ?

Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

It is absolutely NOT my desire or intention to give you incorrect information sir . You have a bit of an unusual electrical fault with your vehicle and I am fully prepared to work through this with you . I am a licensed , certified automotive electrician with 40 years of experience and I am sure that I can assist you with this issue .

Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

I am fully prepared to continue with you . Did you try disconnecting /removing your brake light bulbs ? and do you have a trailer connector at the back of your truck or a trailer brake controller in the cab ?

Ron, ASE Certified Technician