HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I need to replace the Crankshaft Damper [ Balancer] in the

Customer Question

I need to replace the Crankshaft Damper [ Balancer] in the directions that I printed off line it e
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: Its a 1999 mercury sable 24 valve dual overhead cam. In the directions it state that I need a flywheel holding tool. None of the parts house can rent or even sell me one. Any suggestions?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any leaks lately?
Customer: 107,000.00 no leaks
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: When I had the inital problem Auto Zone suggested that I take the belt off and check for frozen pulleys, I did and had none. I took out the Altanator, tested it and replaced it. put it back together and still had the problem. That is when they told me it must be the Crankshaft damper. Their was a lot of sticky gunk built up on the shaft pully.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Not that I know of, its my daughters car and I don't drive it. One guy suggested that I use a impact wrench and take it apart without a flywheel holding tool. I'm not sure if I can get at the bolts with a impact wrench.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Hello, you should be able to break it free if you use an impact wrench, just remember per the instructions that the outer crank pulley bolt is reverse/left handed thread to remove and tighten. Ive never used the tool. If it givers you a hard time you can use a chain wrench to hold the old pulley since you are changing in.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Do you need more help with this concern?