Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

I replaced my compressor on my 09 f150. Vacuumed the line,

Customer Question

I replaced my compressor on my 09 f150. Vacuumed the line, tried charging system, clutchnot engaging, I replaced, diode, fuse and relay.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 140k yes
JA: What is the model of your '09 Ford?
Customer: as i have stated f150
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have already tld you what I have done
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Were you able to get ac freon into the system and the full amount?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I was able to charge the system to static pressure, for a total of 1.3 ounce,obviously not enough as the system holds 24 ounces.
I cannot get the clutch to engage, as I believe it will not because there is not enough freon in system
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Have you tried to manually jump the compressor relay to turn on the compressor a little at a time while adding freon to see if this then allows all freon to be installed and works properly then?I have had to do this on some models in the past before to get all the freon in and then for the ac system to operate again.If this was already attempted or if you need info on how to do this let me know.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I jump the compressor from the switch on the compressor?
If not, where am I jumping it? Fuse box?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

What liter engine is in this model here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
5.4
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,does your model have the manual heat and ac controls or the auto with the auto temp settings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure what you're asking, however, I have a Lariat, and there is a control for me to adjust the temp pass and driver side independently. Is that answering your question
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,this sounds like an auto temp system.

O.k.,you want to jump the power to the compressor at the relay.With the relay removed you jump between pins 3 and 5 at the battery junction box fuse panel where the relay was seated.This is a brown wire with red stripe and a violet wire with white stripe.You can also just jump fused voltage to the violet wire with white stripe at the compressor jumping for a few seconds at a time with the engine running when trying to add the freon.If this does not work let me know.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That didnt do it. I will try to jump the switch on the compressor
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,if you can get the compressor to run then it should take in more freon.If you cannot get it to run let me know.

Thanks Pete