Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

It overheated and the starter clicks when i tried to start

Customer Question
it after I put water...
it overheated and the starter clicks when i tried to start it after I put water in the low radiator. I replacesd the starter thinking it was bad and the only code i get is p1000. a mechanic friend said i might need a new water temm\peture sensor
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: no noise just clicking of the starter
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 1999 ford superduty tritan v10
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: tried checking all the fuses and cleaned the battery cables
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: when it overheated I put water in it and it started up and ran fine for about a minuet then i shut off quietly, making no noise so i was thinking it might be a bad wire or cnnection somewhere or computer problems
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
8/28/2016
Ford Mechanic: Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

My suggestion before doing anything is get a socket and ratchet and attempt to turn engine over manually. Depending on the overheating it is very possible that you have hydro locked the engine.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried that and It would not turn
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I started removing spark plugs and it got dark so i did not finish. a friend at work mentioned it might be computer related so i was thinking of checking that out

That is bad. You may try removing the spark plugs and then see if you can turn and see which cylinder it comes from. It is very likely you have a blown head gasket. I seriously doubt it is computer related.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok i will try removing the rest of the spark plugs, get back to you later

Ok. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you haven't left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.

Tool Hut
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician