Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Changed water pump 2000 ford ranger sterling wheel shake bad

Customer Question

Changed water pump 2000 ford ranger sterling wheel shake bad when I backed out of drive now shakes 40mph?
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I can assist you with your question.

I have been in the auto repair business for many years and specialize in diagnosing vehicles with problems like this one you are describing. I am confident we can resolve your problem together provided you stick with me and run the necessary tests. Please understand that I don't know your skill level and that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. I am also going to do my best to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first to make this as simple as possibly for both of us. I just ask that you provide me with the all of the correct information up front and with the most accurate tests results as we move on so that I can point you in the right direction. I would also appreciate a positive rating from you in return for sharing my time and knowledge and expeirence with you in a timely mannner. Even if you rate my answer after the first few replies, we can still continue our conversation at no further cost to you. With that being said, lets get started.

Can I start by getting your VIN? Thank you!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1FTYR14V4YTB03890
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the VIN! Have you checked the tires for a belt seperation? This would be the most common cause. You might just need two front tires..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have new tires it did not do this s before water pump randy Wichita I did my self muted ps pu mp couple ices after loosing a ps combo bracket to get to water pump bolt
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

So is it the engine that runs rough? The water pump should not have anything to do with the drivetrain

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No front end shakes steering wheel told you all I did was change water pump you should know what I had to do pull all brackets?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry sir, but I dont understand your reply.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No its not the engine running rough
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

Right. So it is something in the drivetrain.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I moved power steering pump out of way to replace water pump
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 11 months ago.

The power steering pump should not cause the steering wheel to shake at 40 mph.