AMEDEE
AMEDEE, FORD TECHNICIAN
Experience:  ASE CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

My 2000 Ford F-150 will not start. Battery is good new

Customer Question

My 2000 Ford F-150 will not start. Battery is good new starter relay, checked cables all good. I turn key on all the lights and dinging happen as required on dash. I can leave key on go out to starter relay and short out the two post and truck starts up and runs . What is wrong ? It has chip ingnition and all worked till last week.
Category: Ford
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Are you looking for possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Causes I replaced relay and truck battery is fully charged. Transmission in park I get all the lights on in the dash when I turn on key but get nothing at the relay. I short circuit the relay and the truck starts right up and runs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get nothing when in neural either but can jump the relay and again starts right up.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Are you sure all of the fuses are good? Check the 15 amp fuse 21 in the central junction box as this feeds the transmission range sensor. If the fuse is good, then the transmission range sensor should be getting power to it with the key in the CRANK position. Then it should send power out of the transmission range switch in park or nuetral (provided the switch is good) to the starter relay. Here is a wiring diagram.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuses are good. Key chip good anti theaf light lights up and goes back out after key turns to start as required. I thought it might be ignition switch but after talking to locksmith that is not the case. He suggested it might be the computer. Is that possible?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Yes Sir

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is it located on a 2000 F150? It is not a generic part is it? I mean they are different from MT and AT even if same size engine correct?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Under the hood, passenger side near the firewall

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't find instruction in maintenance manual on R &R of computer. What is another name for the computer?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

PCM

ECM

Engine control module

Powertrain control module

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found it on a you tube video, but after viewing several I am not sure it is the problem. I am back to ignition system theory
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

I agree. I dont think it is the problem either.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so down to ignition switch, the little plastic covered switch under steering wheel right? Or the key lock its self but doubtful there because the circuit when the starter relay is shorted out the truck runs perfect
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Did you check power in and out of the transmissinon range switch like I mentioned?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With transmission in park I can short out starter relay and the truck starts and runs. I can drive it all over the county shifting gears are normal with no problems or check engine lights
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Please answer my question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe the switch is not moving into the start mode and stops at the run position. Any feedback on that line of thinking?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

YES, that is why I want you to check it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Transmission range switch under the truck?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Yes Sir

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if my back up lights come on in reverse it should be alright correct? if not then replace it or adjust it if possible ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Talking TR sensor now not ignition switch
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

No sir. It is a different circuit for the reverse lights than the starting circuit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I get back to farm tomorrow I'll check the TR, I am 120 miles from farm tonight.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a switch on order and will get to install it Monday
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Did you check/test it first to be sure it is bad?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Transmission switch good, ignition switch only thing left going to try changing it
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

So have you checked power going in and out.. like I mentioned awhile back in this thread?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

And what were the results/readings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know the mechanic said it was good, but I have the tranny switch and the ign switch on order covering my bases
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Ok, no problem. Its your money and your vehicle. I just ask that you dont get upset with me if these dont do the trick. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NP you have been great so far thanks
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

Let me know!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still waiting on parts
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
changed out TR switch and the ignition switch and still have the same problem. Starts only will key in on position and I short out the two posts on the starter relay runs great and shifts good after that just can't get it to start by turning ignition on without shorting out relay.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

So, lets back up and so it my way. Check the input and output of the switch with the key in the CRANK position. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took the ignition switch off of the steering colum and pushed the tab on the switch into start position by hand and the truck started right up. I was not getting power to starter relay from ignition, but I do when I manually operate the ignition switch. Where does that leave me?
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 1 year ago.

That means the ignition switch is not powering up the starting circuit. Sounds like a problem with the mechanical part of the ignition switch..lock cylinder or something along those lines.