Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My son's 1997 ford taurus will not turn over. It has a new

Customer Question

my son's 1997 ford taurus will not turn over. It has a new battery, we just replaced the starter. Intermittently as he was driving everything shut down-no power to anything, but in 20 minutes it would start up. this time it's completely died. He had a green light-which we determined was the antitheft would blink.........could this be a simple fuse issue?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: it fluctuated at first but now it's just dead. He had a freind look at the starter wireing they say its goodd, the unhooked the battery cables and re hoooked, but n no power at all.
JA: Are you fixing your Taurus yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: it's my son's car-he's in college and doesn't have 50 cents to his name....he doesn't know anything about cars.....but his roommate does.......i'm searching on line to try to help him-Im mom-no dad.........I thought if I could rule out the small stuff-then I'll see if we can get it to mechanic.....
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: where is the first place to start in trouble shooting?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

It sounds like the theft module is giving you problems. Either the chip in the key is no longer sending out a signal which turns the theft system off or the device that retrieves the signal is dead.

Do you have a spare key he could try?

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Disclaimer:

Thank you for the opportunity. I love helping people fix their cars and saving them money. Please keep in mind that most problems will require some diagnosis to get them sorted out. I will be here to help until you are satisfied.

If you do not plan to rate my response please let me know as soon as possible. As an expert on Just Answer I only get paid for my service here based on positive ratings from you, the customer. If you do not plan to rate, and therefore compensate me for my time, I need to focus my efforts on customers who will.

Also, JustAnswer might send a message asking if you would like to speak via phone for an additional fee. That request is automated and not generated by me. We can communicate however you feel most comfortable.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Do you still need help with this vehicle?