Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

I changed the oil in my truck, but now I have an oil leak

Customer Question

I changed the oil in my truck, but now I have an oil leak what can be the problem
Category: Ford
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you

Have you checked the drain plug and oil filter gasket to see if it is leaking there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the oil plug is tigth, the oil filter has no oil leaking on it, but the oil pan has oil coming from underneath it. Also the oil level hasn't shown to be going low.

How much oil would you say is coming out and how long since you have changed the oil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I changed the oil 4 weeks ago, and so far I have put two quarts of oil in the vehicle. But, only less than half a quart has leaked out.

I don't understand, I 'm sorry, you are saying that you put more oil in than has leaked out?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is very strange. How are you measuring the oil that has come out? Is it showing over-full on the dipstick?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it is usually near the top of the cross-hairs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The weird part it doesn't leak until the truck is in full stop, and sits for a minute.

Man, that is a weird one to be sure! What weight oil did you use in the truck?

And you actually see this oil dripping on the ground?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after a*****I stopped for 5 minutes and looked under my vehicle to see a small puddle underneath my oil pan forming, there was also oil coming from the pan.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I usually use 10w-40 for the oil change

and this leak only started after you have changed the oil?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was thinking I may have used the wrong Oil Filter. Could that have caused it?

That definitely could have, but you should see some oil dripping from the filter. I think that the very most likely thing is that the drain plug gasket has either fallen off or is faulty. This is easily fixed by a 10 cent gasket. I would clean it off and try to let the truck start dripping while you watch to verify this, but I bet that is what you are looking at.

that kind of thing happens at my shop all the time. We use brake cleaner to clean off the suspected area and watch it while it runs to see if it leaks. Another trick is to add some uv dye to the oil and drive it for a bit and that can help locate a leak as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thank you.

No problem buddy, good luck! Don't forget to leave a positive rating if you were pleased with my service!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will, I just hope that is my problem. Thank you for your help.

If it is not, please let me know and I'll continue to help you through it! Have a good night buddy!

Hi I'm just checking in to see if you have tried what I've suggested or have any other news.

Hi, it's Josh just checking in for an update. Have you had a chance to check on the truck? I also want to remind you to please rate my service!

This is Josh looking for an update. If you have gotten to the bottom of your problem, please don't forget to rate my service.

Hello, it's Josh again checking for an update

Hi, it's Josh again checking for an update on your problem. I also wanted to remind you to please take a moment and rate my answer. Thank you