Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2006 Ford E-250 4.6l V8. I am getting misfire codes

Customer Question
Hi i have a 2006...
Hi i have a 2006 Ford E-250 4.6l V8. I am getting misfire codes for multiple cylinders and as i was pulling out the coils to check the plugs i found there was coolant in the spark plug holes. I decided to do a pressure test of the cooling system to see if maybe the intake was leaking coolant out of the intake gasket and into the holes. the tester showed there was no leak. is there any other way for coolant to get into the spark plug holes?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
8/23/2016
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Was this coolant sitting down in the holes the spark plugs sit in or actually inside the engine with the cylinders?

Is it on one side or both sides of the engine?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the coolant was sitting inside the holes where the spark plug sits. Both sides.

O.k.,there have been some issues with the heater core hoses and hose connections leaking down onto the intake causing this issue here.It may not show up under a coolant pressure test and the engine may need cleaned off,then ran and warmed up then check to see if these hoses or hose connections are leaking onto the intake.

I would also check for any intake gaskets leaking when ran and warmed up but I suspect this is the common issue of the heater core hoses or hose connections needing replaced or repaired.On some they have hose clamps that can be tightened.

In a worse case scenario when you cannot locate the leak you can add coolant dye to the anti freeze then run the engine until it leaks again to see if you can use a leak tracer light (usually a black light) to locate the traces of the dye as it will lead to the leak area needing repaired or replaced.

One other cause is an actual cylinder head leak where the gasket is seeping coolant.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician