Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I've got a 2003 "Eddie Bauer" Ford Explore (4.6Ltr.) It's

Customer Question
I've got a 2003 "Eddie...
I've got a 2003 "Eddie Bauer" Ford Explore (4.6Ltr.) It's been a great truck; but in the last few months; it's making a "horrific" "popping"/"clunking" noise and "grabbing feeling" in the front axle (drivetrain) at "low-speed tight turns" (right or left-and a "grinding/whining sound"). It feels like (and sounds like) that the front drive train is going to "fall-out" of the front-end! It's terrible!
I've done lots of research on this and it seems that this is related to the 4-Wheel Drive... Just curious if that I disconnect the 4WD will it fix the problem? If so; what's the best way to "disconnect"? I've heard cutting some "brown wire"; I've heard "unplugging some plug on the transfer case"; etc... Do you have any suggestions? Anything that you might be able to pass on my way would be very appreciative! P.S... The 4x4 "High" light comes on (flashes) every 5 minutes or so...
Good Luck,
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
8/21/2016
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago
Kevin Bourcier

hi , start by removing the front driveshaft . this will help to diagnose if the issue is in the transfer case or the front differential . please be sure to remember that you have paid your fee for getting your question answered . I will appreciate you leaving me a positive feedback rating for assisting you so I can get credited for my time and effort

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Kevin,
Thanks for your quick reply. I will take your advice and see how it goes. I really appreciate the advice and knowledge regarding my problem... I will recommend you to other Ford owners.
Ford Mechanic: Kevin Bourcier,
 replied 1 year ago

okay . you are welcome . please get back to me and let me know what you find . I am happy to assist you further ! :-)

Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier
Kevin Bourcier