john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech over 15 years in the field
6149662

2001 5.4 ran low on oil now wont start

Customer Question

2001 5.4 ran low on oil now wont start
Category: Ford
Expert:  john -aka eauto replied 1 year ago.

does it crank?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

is it getting spark? fuel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
drove yesterday fine. got in today cranks but wont start. oil gauge wasn't reading added oil to level. gauge is reading now but wont start. engine fail safe of some sort ?

no on the fail safe.......................

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start conditio

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you sound like it has nothing to do with that it ran low on oil ? if I can hook it up to a computer will that narrow my options in trouble shooting

are there codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes, my local Auto Zone has the equipment, but no running vehicle to get there

so if you put a little gas in the throttle body will it fire?

is the fuel pump running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not yet, I thought it had to do with low oil. I will go check for fuel issues and get back to you. think I will call you though, I'm to slow typing

k