Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 1994 Ford Ranger with no spark. I have replaced the

Customer Question
I have a 1994 Ford...
I have a 1994 Ford Ranger with no spark. I have replaced the distributor, the
ignition module, and the ECM. I also replaced the under the hood relays. I
am out of ideas
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: About 200k. It has been running perfectly and was involved a fender bender in the front. The inertia switch wasn
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: wasn't triggered.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have replaced the distributor, the
am out of ideas
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
8/16/2016
Ford Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Is this the 2.3, 3.0 or 4.0?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
3.0

ok, how much voltage do you have at the positive side of the ignition coil, red/light green wire and the distributor same color wire with the key on both run and start?

For reference, here is the wiring diagram.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
With the key on it is ~12 volts. While starting it drops to about ~8-9 volts.

Where are you checking for spark at, the end of a spark plug wire or at the end of the coil wire? If a spark plug wire, check again at the end of the coil wire.

Also, if you have a tachometer, see if it registers a cranking rpm or not, that way we know if the ignition primary circuit is working or not.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I check for spark at the coil and there is nothing. I don't have a tach. The inertia switch isn't triggered but is there a way to test it and does it cut off both fuel and spark?

If you have no spark, ignore the fuel system and the inertia switch for right now, cause it has no affect on the ignition system.

The inertia switch just cuts off the fuel pump, in case there is an accident so fuel won't still be pumping and maybe cause a fire.

Now back to the ignition and no spark, we have to confirm that the primary ignition circuit is ok, so a voltmeter or 12 volt test light should work. Hook either to the negative side of the coil primary wire, then crank the engine over and the voltmeter should fluctuate if the primary circuit is working, opening and closing the coil primary, or if using a 12 volt test light the test light should flicker. Let me know if either do.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I used a test light and the light comes on but does not flicker during crank.

Ok, at this point it is going to be tuff, why don't I just give you a troubleshooting procedure and have you follow it and then if you get stuck, let me know or get done and it's fixed, great. now, let me find a procedure, hold on.

YOU never tested the stator yet?

It took awhile but I found a test for that stator,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks. It got dark on me so I will check it in the morning.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At step 5 I had about 11.5 volts and when bumping the engine I have about 10 volts. So with the 90% check it looks like the stator is fine?

90% of 11.5 volts is 10.35 volts.

replace the stator and try again.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Where is it located?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have replaced the entire distributor which has the CKP connected to it running down into the crank. Thanks.

Where is it located? it should be inside the distributor, that is what you were just testing, but I do see you replaced the distributor.

I have to ask, how exactly are you testing for spark?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have pulled a plug and put it against the block and I have also pulled the secondary on top of the tower of the coil and there is no action. I even hooked up a timing light to plug wire #1 and no flash from the timing light.

ok, is this a brand new distributor that you installed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I got it from a salvage yard.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was trying to save some money and I may have just been causing myself a heap of aggravation. Do you think I should just buy a new one?

No, I think you should replace the stator.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I thought the stator was part of the distributor that is part of the crankshaft position sensor.

Actually camshaft position sensor but whatever the name, yes it's in the distributor.

I found some additional tests,

Did you perform and of those additional tests or replace that stator yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a little trouble understanding the literature you sent me but I am going to look it over and try some of the tests this weekend. I have to order the stator so it is going to be a few days for it to arrive. Thanks.

ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I changed out the stator but still no spark. Any other ideas you think I can check?
Mike S.
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician