Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

No fuel pump pressure, its the orignal one, 98 ford ranger,

Customer Question
no fuel pump pressure JA: Have...
no fuel pump pressure
JA: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?
Customer: its the orignal one
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 98 ford ranger
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and checked fuel pump i put 12v to it and it runs checked all the fuses and switched the relays around and nothing it was running a few day ago now it wont run
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no thats it
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
8/13/2016
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 1 year ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello, when you turn the key to on does the check engine light come on and do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds? Have you checked the fuel pump inertia switch for being popped? Any codes stored if checked with a scan tool?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is the interim switch pose to be up or down
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Interia*

The button is supposed to be in the down position or it interrupts power to the fuel pump. On a ranger sometimes a passenger can pull the electrical connector out of the bottom of the switch or the switch can fail. Make sure the check engine light comes on, the eec power relay turns on the check engine light to indicate power is going to the PCM. The eec power relay then supplies power to the fuel pump relay for a few seconds to energize the pump and prime the fuel rail. The power goes from the pump relay to the inertia switch to the pump.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok I'll check that tomorrow

Yup, if you got no power going to the pump and the inertia switch is plugged in and button is down. CHeck for power to the switch when you turn the key to on. It only sends power for a few seconds so you might need an assistant to turn the key. If the check engine light doesnt come on, change the eec/pcm power relay. if it does and no power, swap out the fuel pump relay if it has 2 sources of power to the relay when the key is cycled to on.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No check engine light on

Then check for two power sources at the eec/pcm power relay. If there is no power, check the fuses. If you have two power sources swap out the relay and retest, assuming the check engine light bulb isnt burnt out and worked before.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They both have 12v is it possible that the relay is bad or the pcm the radio doesn't work now either

Yes, as i said, if you have 2 sources of power to the relay, try swapping the relay and testing operation.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Did that and still nothing

Do you have communication with the pcm if you test it with a scan tool?

With the key in the on position and you install the eec/pcm power relay does it click?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No communication with scan tool

Ok and does the pcm power relay click? You are positive you have 2 pins on the relay in the fuse box that have power? The relay doesnt click?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry only one pin has source voltage

Ok then that is why it wont close the relay. What engine is in this ranger?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
V6 3.0

here is the fuse in the interior fuse panel that feeds the pcm power relay diode side of the relay circuit. both should be good. if no power, replace he fuse. if the fuse is good, you will need to disassemble the pcm power relay fuse box and test the wiring for an open circuit and repair the loss of power

Do you need more help with this concern?

If you need more help or information, let me know. If I was helpful,please leave a positive rating.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

HDGENE
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans