sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 17 years dealership experience
9825021

Can anyone help me with my 2005 1.8L Ford Focus. The car is

Customer Question

Hello there!Can anyone help me with my 2005 1.8L Ford Focus. The car is having bad idling and the engine rattles badly. I replaced all the coils, spark plugs, and eegr but still has idling hesitation. I checked it already to my OBD reader and no fault code present. What seems to be the problem?Thanks,
Joe
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Can I get the vin#?

In park at operating temp what is the idle rpm, and is it going up and down or staying to low?

Is the rattle from the top, front or deep in the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PE163L0351AM00267
Operating temp 76 degrees celcious, idle rpm playing at 750-840 revs. The rpm is going up and down and you can hear the throttle body making whistling noise. The rattle seems from top but the whole engine is shaking little.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It like little misfiring but I can't figured out what's the problem.

Is this an American vehicle?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Asian.

I need opt opt out and get you into the correct category.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If there is a rattle noise from the top end of the engine along with a misfire that start at or near the same time then I would first suspect a valvetrain issue. A broken valvespring, worn cam lobe , lifter or rocker arm could cause a noise from the top end and also cause a misfire.

Do you have a compression gauge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked all the valve spring and all fine also the compression. I really suspect that there are vacuum issues or sensor but I can't figure it out where. It doesn't have any fault codes.

How was compression tested?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Compression 1,3=165 and 4&2=160

What you need to do is a running compression test. CAn you do a running compression test and let me know the exact reading for each cylinder?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do that. But when you put gas the engine run smooth the only problem is the slight shaking of the engine.

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I'll let you know later.

Great!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All are running 20 secs. Piston#1 @140psi
Piston#2 @150psi
Piston#3 @130psi
Piston#4 @130psi
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After replacing new battery compression result not running
Piston#[email protected]
Piston#[email protected]
Piston#[email protected]
Piston#[email protected]
These are static results. You need to start the engine, let it run until the idle comes down, press the release on the gauge and let it build again until the needle stops climbing. Let it build and release a few times to make sure you're getting an accurate average.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long it should be running?
Long enough to allow normal idle speed and do the test.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do that tomorrow. Thanks

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Running more than 3 mins
Piston#190psi
#[email protected]
#[email protected]
#[email protected]

These are not running compression numbers.

You need to start the engine with the compression gauge in place, allow the idle to come down to normal, press the release on the gauge and let it build to the highest reading. Release pressure and allow it to build 4-5 times to ensure you're looking at an accurate average.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I released the pressure many times but the result is still like that. Considering that the engine is misfired. What result are you expecting?

Running compression numbers are far less than static.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These are the result:
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
If you think I'm getting it wrong, we can't continue this conversation. I already tried it many times but the numbers are telling me like that.

Can you explain exactly what you're doing from start to finish?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1st thing is to warm up the engine until it will met the operating temperature.Here are the steps:
1. Remove spark plug and fuel injector line
2. Insert the compression gauge
3. Cracking the engine with installed compression gauge
4. Running the engine until it will settled then you can hear that the engine start to misfire and release the air
5. While running and after releasing air you can see that the gauge is starting to move again wait until the pointing arm it will stop them release air again. Repeat 4x until ate pointing arm stop them that's the final result. Am I doing it right?

How were the valvesprings checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I opened the valve cover seems all are well but im not sure. What's your recommendation?
Does the noise change when cylinders are killed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I condemned each cylinder it causes intense vibration. If the cylinders are all working it has slight vibration. My only concern it has no fault codes present and all plugs and coils are new also the eegr.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can video it if you want but the problem is how I can send it to you.

You can upload a small file here or upload to somewhere such as Youtube and post the link.