Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2003, F350 Super duty, 6.0, 4x4, engine surges, more

Customer Question
2003, F350 Super duty, 6.0...
2003, F350 Super duty, 6.0, 4x4
JA: What are all the symptoms you've noticed (e.g. noises, leaks, flashing lights, error codes)?
Customer: engine surges, more noticeable at running temp
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: auto w/ 300,000 miles
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, nothing yet,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
8/10/2016
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 1 year ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you today.

Can you explain the surging? Does this ocur when you are accelerating? Idling? All the time?

Does it only happen when hot?

Do you have a scan tool to check for codes to make sure there are no electrical faults?

When you surge, does the engine smoke? If so, what color do you see?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no smoke, no codes, only when at normal run temp.
Not noticeable with heavy accelerating but occurs at low rpm, idling in gear, brake applied it will sometime stall. Noticeable on cruse control and foot pedal. In a 5 mile distance it surges 3 to 6 times

Do you have a scan tool with monitoring to see what the pressures are in the oil rail as well as the FICM voltages?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no scan tools on hand. I've been told that faulty FICM causes hard start & rough idle.
I don't have these 2 issues.

FICM sync can cause surging though when it doesn't match the CPS.

Does the turbo sound normal when accelerating ot does it cut out at all? You have 300k miles on it. Is it original? If so, has it ever been opened and cleaned?

The EBP sensor and tube, when was the last time it was cleaned?

I'm trying to rule out other possibilities before needing to crack the valve covers open to have the injectors tested with the other issues that are always overlooked.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Original turbo, reconditioned approx 20,000 miles ago. Sounds normal. ICP sensor replaced at same time.
Not sure on EBP sensor & tube

Then the turbo can be ruled out for that is low miles.

I would try cleaning the tube. What throws me off is you don;t have any smoking so that usually rules out the injectors and the wiring to them for you would get smoking. The issue is then either turbo related from the EBP tube being plugged, IPR sticking or has sudden trash in the screen in the IPR, or the turbo vanes sticking. I don't think you have a stiction issue, but you might. To rule out any stiction issues, I run Luca in the oil to clean up the oil side of the injectors to push out any sludge possibilities that would cause the stiction. Then I clean the turbo to remove any coking (which was done for you 20k ago), then I clean the EBP tube and test drive. If I run the test drive and have issues still after 25 miles, I then pull the IPR and check the screen and/or replace it. That usually gets rid of the surging, unless there is a FICM sync issue, but the scan tool tells me that issue as soon as I plug it in. You didn't complain of stall outs, so I don't think it is a sync issue.

Try cleaning the EBP tube and while the engine is cool, check the IPR screen for debris.

CLICK HERE for a video on the EBP cleaning.

In the video, he pulled off the whole tube, which is best. Otherwise if you can't, remove the sensor, then spray brake cleaner, then run a wire about the size of the hole and run it in the tube. If there is debris or partial blockage, the wire will push it through. Wait at least 20 - 30 minutes before starting it if you are aggressive with the brake cleaner to allow some time for the gas of it to evaporate. You don't want the flame up from it for it is like a backfire to the engine which you don't want. I see guys in the shop do that all the time for kicks and then they end up having to replace the sensor out of their flat fees.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
reply was very quick with useful information

I appreciate that. How did it turn out?

Jeremy
Jeremy