Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer V8 2WD with 127,000 miles. The

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer V8 2WD with 127,000 miles. The problem first developed with hard shifting under hard acceleration. It has gotten worse over a few thousand miles and now seems to hunt between gears if you are light on the throttle between 40-60mph. If you step on it enough to make it kick down, it goes away and will normally settle into gear. It also seems to "bump" when coming to a stop.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I understand this has the 6R60 transmission, and doesn't seem to be plagued by the common problems the older 5R55 had. I need to know if I should be looking for a new transmission, or if there are common causes that I should diagnose first. Thank you
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** is usually caused by a bad torque converter lock up solenoid, and is common, when you are cruising beween 40 and sixty, and it is hunting for a gear, can you lightly depress the brake pedal, not alot just enough to turn on the brake lights and see if the hunting goes away?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tim, I have not been able to get it to exhibit the hunting behavior again yet, but would a torque converter lock up solenoid explain violent shifts under hard throttle?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Yes it can, butcan also be from another problem, the hunting at cruise speeds is almost always the TCC solenoid, and is a very common repair, the tcc solenoid is inside the transmission an, bolted to the valve body, this would be the first suspec, is the fluid a bright pink and full?