Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XL with 86K

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XL with 86K miles/autotrans. When the car is in Park, after I have started the car, I depress the release button on the shift. However, I cannot get the shift to release and move into Drive without playing with the brake pedal and shift for about 5 minutes. Suddenly, it will release and I can shift gears. It maybe my imagination it seems when I lightly depress the gas pedal I am more likely to get the shift to release. Do you have any idea what is wrong and what it would cost to repair?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

Have you observed the brake lights to see if they are working at the time of the shift lock not releasing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have not looked at them, but as far as I know when I had the car checked up everything looked good.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the reply.

The most common cause for the shift lock issue is the brake light switch or the connector for the brake light switch. I usually replace both as a pair. The release actuator is also very common for sticking. Confirming brake light operation will narrow it down. The problem has to be occurring when checking the lamps. If it needs a switch and connector then figure around $250. If it needs a new actuator figure around $400.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome!

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

If you need further assistance please feel free to reply and we can continue. Otherwise please take a moment to rate my answer as you see fit. After rating, the thread is still available should you need further assistance. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Thanks,

Kenny Z