Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1997 Ford F350 with a 7.5L gas motor. It goes into

Customer Question

I have a 1997 Ford F350 with a 7.5L gas motor. It goes into a fast idle mode randomly and sometimes I can't get it out. In the 'fast idle' mode it doesn't want to shift into second gear unless I move the shifter into D2 and I haven't found a way to get it to shift into overdrive. Also, if it is in 'fast idle', it won't start unless I spray some starting fluid into the air intake. Sometimes, a jab to the gas pedal will kick it down to normal idle. Today, it wouldn't kick down. The gas pedal linkage is resting on the idle adjust screw whether it is in fast idle mode or not. During 'regular idle' time, it shifts fine and starts easily. What is causing this and how do I fix it?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
In order to determine what is causing the problem you are having you need to start first with running a systems scan on the computer to see if there are any fault codes setting. I would also pull the throttle position sensor and check it to see if its binding in the wide open throttle position . Check theses two things for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.