Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2006 Ford Mustang GT, battery, alternator and fuel pump

Customer Question
recently replaced. I have an...
2006 Ford Mustang GT, battery, alternator and fuel pump recently replaced. I have an aftermarket tuner that I have used for my car for about 8 years. A couple of days ago I plugged it in to change my fuel octane to 93. In the middle of the process, the tuner completely shut off and would not come back on. Following that, my car would not start or even turn over. Would even recognize it had power. I replaced fuse #8 (DLC) and my dashboard and gauges came back on, but it still will not turn over. I have checked every other fuse and can't seem to find any other bad ones. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
JA: Most vehicles have two fuse panels. Have you located both?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your Mustang GT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: See above
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
8/8/2016
Ford Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately it sounds like the tuner may have been in the middle of programming with your engine computer and shut down and damaged the computer internally.When a software change is made to the computer like this here if it is interrupted or dies out like this,this damages the computer internally in most all cases.

One thing that needs checked here is to see if you can communicate with the engine computer to check fault codes and data signals.If there is no communication with a scan tool compatible with your model here and all fuses are good the computer needs replaced.In some cases a dealer can reprogram the computer to repair it but most all need replaced when software update or flash has failed in the middle of the process.Kind of like a computer hard drive it can crash in the middle of calibrating or programming and in some cases ruin it with it needing replaced.Unfortunately I have seen this to many times before myself.

This will cause a no start issue that you see here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician