Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1999 Sable, cranks but wont start, Stalled on the road about

Customer Question
1999 Sable, cranks but wont...
1999 Sable, cranks but wont start
JA: Have you checked the engine's fuel supply? And the spark plugs -- are they all working?
Customer: Stalled on the road about 1 month ago, hasn't started since
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the plugs because the were work and the gaps were .090
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Fuel in half a tank
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
8/2/2016
Ford Mechanic: roy, import/domestic specialest replied 1 year ago
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

you need 3 things for the engine to run. fuel pressure, spark and compression.

remove a spark plug wire, crank the motor and see if there is any spark.

check the fuel pressure. you will need a tester. you can rent one at a parts store to verify pressure.

remove the front 3 plugs and use a compression tester to be sure there is compression

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the assistance, Roy. This is a 1999 Mercury Sable with the 3.0L "Vulcan" V6.
It stalled while driving about 1 month ago, I had it towed home and hoped to fix it myself.
Here it what I have done:
replaced the IAC, since it had stored a IAC DTC code and had stalled at idle a couple of months ago.
replaced the spark plugs, since they had eroded to 0.090" gaps.
Here is what I have checked:
No DTC in the computer, (have not reset nor disconnected the battery).
Fuel Tank is more than half full.
Battery Voltage is 12.2V at rest, 9.9V while cranking.
Fuel pressure is 37 psi at the rail. Pressure is present for several days after the last start attempt.
Visible spark on all 6 plugs while cranking.
electrical pulse (test light) on all 6 injectors while cranking.
I have looked for obvious vacuum hose break/missing/disconnect openings, but I don't see any.
SES light in the dash turns off while cranking, disconnected the crank position sensor and the SES light blinks while cranking.
I'm not sure if this engine has a CAM position sensor.
I'm pretty sure it this car does not have a PATS key, the key head is much smaller than newer keys that need to be programmed.
I'll check the compression tomorrow and get back to you then.

ok, thanks.

fuel pressure at th lowest setting. should be 37-45. try spraying some starting fluid in the air filter and see if it starts and dies.

Roy

Roy

roy
roy
roy, import/domestic specialest