A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

The cruise on my daughters 2004 F-150 started acting up and

Customer Question

The cruise on my daughters 2004 F-150 started acting up and worked intermittently. It finally quit all together. Third brake light was out. Fixed that. No dice. The cruise cutout switch tested bad and I replaced that. Nothing. The brake position switch tested good. Found that the shift interlock switch was bad and replace it. Still no cruise. Checked all of the fuses. Her truck is the new style that came out that year so no switch on the master cylinder. I'm out of ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
JA: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?
Customer: Brake fluid level is good.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes. I've already replaced the cruise cutout switch, the shift interlock switch. Both tested bad.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: When I tap the brake the shift interlock picks up, so I'm guessing that the brake pedal position switch is good.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A mechanic friend of my daughter down in Texas put it on his machine and told her that the steering wheel buttons were good. Not sure why he didn't see the other components were bad. Not real confident in his diagnosis.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Is the F150 the old body style or the newer body style? If you can give me the VIN#, it will tell me.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New body style. VIN#:1FTPX14594NA89596.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The old body style had a self test you can do on the speed control switches, but the new body style does not.

Did this mechanic give you any trouble codes that would back up what he stated was bad?

And you have already replaced the brake pedal position switch on the brake pedal under the dash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not real confident that he's a mechanic and he didn't give her any DTC's. I replaced the deactivator switch. It was broken inside and was constantly made up. The shift interlock switch would pick up as soon as I turned the key to run. I replaced that and now it only picks up when I apply the brake. All of the brake lights work when I barely touch the brake. I've checked all of the fuses that I think are related to the cruise. Not sure what to check next.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Check fuse #16 in the dash fuse box. Also, get the voltage at the deactivator switch at the brake pedal under the dash above the brake pedal position switch (Brake light switch). You should have power on the BLACK/YELLOW striped wire should have voltage greater than 10 volts with the brake pedal released and 0 volts with the brake pedal firmly applied.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On it. Thank you.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know what you find voltage wise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have any voltage on the black and yellow wire and the #16 fuse is good.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Do you have power on the TAN/RED striped wire at the switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No Sir.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A friend of mine had this bit of advice. He just told me that now that I have replaced the shift interlock switch, I should be able to reset any codes and the cruise will start working. Is he in the ballpark or is he headed for the no thanks pile?
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

In the no thanks pile. If you have no power on the BLACK/YELLOW striped wire, the PCM (Engine Computer) which controls the electronic throttle body on the engine, thinks you are stepping on the brakes and will not let the cruise control work.

See if you have power on fuse #16. There are test points on the fuse when it is installed. Do this test with the key turned on. Also make sure the key is turned on when checking for power on the BLACK/YELLOW striped wire and the TAN/RED striped wire. Fuse #16 will on have power in the on and run positions of the key.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a dumbass. I assumed I was checking a constant hot. I didn't have the key on. Be right back.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

No problem. I should have mentioned that.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The #16 fuse has power, as well as the Black/Yellow wire.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok. With the switch plugged in and the key on. See if the TAN/RED striped wire has power without stepping on the brake pedal.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Sorry ignore that.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

The deactivator switch is working properly. Do you have a meter that can measure OHMS?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sir.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I need you to test the switches. Take the trim panels off the steering column and locate a thin connector with a row of 6 wires in it. Below is a picture of it. C218b. Yours may have less depending on the switch options on the steering wheel. Then unplug the switch and use the meter, check the side of the connector closest to the steering wheel on pins #4 and #5. Below is the reading chart you should get when each button is pressed and held.

Speed Control Switch

Speed Control Switches Resistance Value

OFF ------ Less than 5 ohms

COAST ---285 - 315 ohms

SET -------570 - 630 ohms

RESUME----1,055 - 1,165 ohms

ON----------2,005 - 2,216 ohms

No switch pressed------4,094 - 4,526 ohms

You can do this tomorrow and let me know the results. I need to sign off because it is getting late over here and I need to go to work at my dealership in the morning.

Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Below is the connector.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I'll let you know tomorrow.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. Talk to you tomorrow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. A funny thing happened this morning. I had t to run into work and after 20 or so miles I decided to give the cruise a try. Low and behold it came back to life. I drove it an additional 50 miles and hit the cruise on and off dozens of times with no issues. Don't get me wrong because I am happy that it's working again, but what an aggravating issue this has been. I've been a Substation Electrician for 26 years and I'll take big power over this ulcer inducing small stuff anytime. I appreciate your time and your help. Anything that should still concern me or do you think the components I replaced did the trick. I don't know what difference taking it for a drive amounts to, other than the computer deciding to give me cruise back. Thanks again.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

We call this type of happening "A Ghost Repair". Do not know what fixed it, but it is now working properly. It may have been the brake switch witht he two wires we were messing with earlier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't who this "Ghost" character is, but I wish he would stop messing with my stuff in the first place. Hope you have a good night and thanks again for all of your advice and help.
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Your very welcome. Just be glad your daughters truck is a 2004 and not a 2014. A lot more wiring and a lot more modules.