Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2002 Taurus in Florida- was running fine all morning made a

Customer Question
few stops, left the engine...
2002 Taurus in Florida- was running fine all morning made a few stops, left the engine running while I ran into a circle K for sodas then got on the interstate. Got up to 70-75 mph and set the cruise control, ran fine for a few miles then I noticed the car started to slow down and buck a little and the tack was reading like it dropped down a gear and started to run rough. I pulled off to the side and it stalled while I was slowing down. Had trouble getting it to start (not the starter but running) when it finally did, it ran rough and made a pinging noise (like when the timing is off) especially when accelerating. The traffic was moving at a snails pace and I had to put it in neutral and give it a little gas to keep it running. When the traffic started to move it bucked and pinged and I had to pull off again it stalled again as I was pulling off. Couldn't get it to start for quite a while. After about 15-20 minutes (the engine had cooled a bit) I finally got it to start and bucked and pinged to the next exit. As I was pulling into a place to park it, it stalled again. When the tow truck arrived (several hours later) it started (not right up) but stalled as he tried to drive it onto the wrecker. My first thought was a timing issue because of the pinging but he said it wouldn't start at all if it was a timing issue and suggested a fuel pump issue. What do you think?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/31/2016
Ford Mechanic: john -aka eauto, The Car Guy replied 1 year ago
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy

did it trip the engine light.?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
light was already from an o2 sensor I haven't had time to replace
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no the internet is fine

can you see if there are any new codes? these are common for cam sensor failures

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
don't have the equipment and can't get it to a parts store

are you having the shop diagnose it?or the tow truck driver?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm asking you

well first step is to verify the fuel pump is running and verify fuel pressure...if not the next step is to check codes...the next step would be to verify spark and injector pulse.. cam sensors can fail and so do fuel pumps...

We will have to pinpoint what the engine is missing.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition.

Spark

Fuel

Compression

All three of these are tested when the engine is being cranked over. There are two way of checking for fuel. Fuel pressure and fuel trigger. Both are very important and must be present for the car to start. Fuel pressure is self explanatory. You just hook up the gage and see what the reading is. Fuel trigger is check with a noid light. The injector gets unplugged and the noid light gets plugged in to the injector clip. With the engine cranking over, this light must blink. This is the signal to the injectors from the computer. You can have all the fuel pressure in the world, but it wont matter if the injector is not pulsing gas into the cylinder like it should! Compression tester, spark tester, fuel pressure gage and noid light are all accessible at your local auto store. All three tests play a very important part in diagnosing a no start condition

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.
I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. As always I'm happy to provide my time/service & resources so If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you. Thank you and good luck with your vehicle!

john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto
john -aka eauto, The Car Guy