Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2005 mercury mariner. When i turn it off, the horn starts

Customer Question

2005 mercury mariner. When i turn it off, the horn starts honking in random patterns (if not immediately, then shortly after) and won't stop unless I start the car or disconnect the battery. Checked battery and it is good and replaced key fob... no luck.
JA: Does the battery look like it's leaking? And does it have a strong smell -- like sulfur?
Customer: No and it has full charge, had it tested
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, plus everywhere is closed. replaced key fob and checked battery so far.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: it has over 140,000 on V6 but running strong on original engine. Just got back from trip to Cali from Arizona where i live, but did not rain while there nor is it first time there. No signs of any other issues,
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tony Peake replied 1 year ago.

hi my name is ***** ***** the key fob work and have you tried disabling the security by locking and unlocking with the key in the drivers door please let me know so I can assist you further if needed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the new one is working.
I have also tried the drivers door
Expert:  Tony Peake replied 1 year ago.

so it starts the second you turn the ignition off and remove the key and have you tried other doors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only door with a key lock is the drivers door.
It often happens when shut off, but can wait a little and then randomly go off.
When it beeps it will be like 5 beeps (pause) 2 beeps (pause) 3 beeps (pause)... there is no set pattern.
When i was programming the key fob it would honk as i switched the ignition from off to run
Expert:  Tony Peake replied 1 year ago.

this sounds like a wiring issue with how intermittent it is how comfortable are you with wiring diagrams.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Usually pretty good
Expert:  Tony Peake replied 1 year ago.

I will pull up the wiring diagram for the security system and see what we can find.

Expert:  Tony Peake replied 1 year ago.

is the door ajar light always on when doors are closed

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will go check
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, there are no lights or messages indicating this
Expert:  Tony Peake replied 1 year ago.

I will keep digging will let you know if I come up with anything.