Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2004 ford excursion 6.0L powerstroke.driving on freeway @

Customer Question
about 70 mph. Sputter, like...
2004 ford excursion 6.0L powerstroke.driving on freeway @ about 70 mph. Sputter, like was not getting fuel, cut off. Now turn key, no turn-over. But all asscesories work.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: yes.
JA: What is the model of your '04 Ford?
Customer: Excursion limited.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: checked fuses,tried to decode it, but no connection to computer.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: turn key,don't hear fuel pump kick in.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
7/25/2016
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 1 year ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

When you turn the key on, does the check engine light come on? Does the glow plug light come on?

Does the starter crank at all or nothing?

Do the starter cable look good on the starter itself?

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had the chip tested in the key and that was fine. theft light is constantly blinking when key is on. Put a decoder on vehicle and it could connect to computer. also when key is turned on motor do not turn over and no sound from fuel pump.
All other accesories work fine. Do not have code for anti-theft, was not given from Dealer. This truck is used.

You just narrowed it down. If the theft light is flashing when you turn the key, the PATS system can't read the key. Constant flashing means the PATS lost it's programming due to a fault in the system. You'll need the Ford IDS tool with programming to see what the fault is with the PATS system and reprogram the keys to the vehicle.

The module is acting up or the transceiver for the key is. There is not diagnostic steps you can really do for this without the Ford scan tool. That is the bad part of this.

Jeremy

Jeremy
Jeremy