Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Changed ignition cylinder with transponder in my 1999 f150

Customer Question
xlt 4x4 with 4.6 engine...
changed ignition cylinder with transponder in my 1999 f150 xlt 4x4 with 4.6 engine now how do I get it to start/
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: yes, it just will not fire off, is it the antitheft not reconizing new key?
JA: What is the model of your '99 Ford?
Customer: if so, how do I get the system to recognize and accept new key?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: 1999 F150 xlt 4x4 with 4.6 romeo,
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I just put in a new ignition cylinder with transponder everything works and engine turns over just does not fire
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
7/25/2016
Ford Mechanic: Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician replied 1 year ago
Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your question today.

I'm an independent contractor and I don't get paid until a rating has been made.

We can go back and forth as needed to help resolve the issue you are having. Follow ups are free after ratings, so rate in confidence!

Unfortunately I don't have the greatest news. I was hoping someone would have told you this when you got the part to save the trouble. I usually tell my customer that when they change the cylinder out with the transponder to do it in the Ford parking lot. The reason is after you change the transponder, you change the frequency and the keys need to be programmed back to the vehicle.

There are locksmiths that can now come to you and do the programming at the vehicle. I suggest seeing if you have one in your area that can do this. If not, call some local shops to see if they have the Ford IDS scan tool with programming to try and avoid the dealer fees. Last resort is to tow to dealer for the programming.

The stage you are at now is you have to program the keys. I'm sure as you are trying to start, the theft light is flashing constantly while cranking. That will be the give away as well.

I wish my news was better for an easier solution, but there just isn't in this situation.

_______________________________________________________________________________

You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see, touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback, they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Jeremy
Jeremy