Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

2003 Thunderbird runs very rough on cold start. If you turn

Customer Question
2003 Thunderbird runs very rough...
2003 Thunderbird runs very rough on cold start. If you turn the car off immediately and restart after about 5-10 times engine runs smooth. The Powertrain control module has been replaced, the throttle body motor replaced, coil packs, spark plug and oil rings replaced (which solved the problem briefly). Any ideas? Is there a temp sensor somewhere that sends signals to the control module?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/20/2016
Ford Mechanic: HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans replied 1 year ago
HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans

Hello yes there is an engine coolant temperature sensor. It sounds like you probably have a fuel injector leaking down after the vehicle sits and the engine is burning off the excess fuel on first start up of the day. A fuel pressure gauge can help confirm a fuel pressure leak down. Also if the vehicle sits often, the fuel quality may also be an issue, these fuel pumps use a sock that will degrade in the fuel tank and possibly cause a loss of fuel pressure under a load.

Do you need more help with this concern?

Ford Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

Would you like me to help with this concern?

Is there a concern with exhaust smoke upon the first engine startup?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a great experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician