Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

New battery installed and just had Alternator tested as

Customer Question
being good, it still will...
New battery installed and just had Alternator tested as being good, it still will not hold a charge!!!!
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: Battery is brand new
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2001 Expedition 5.4 eddie Bauer
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced battery, had alternator tested
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/18/2016
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Does the battery light come on while driving?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Usually loses charge overnight after I get it running.

You may have a serious draw on the battery. Have you checked the charging voltage with a meter when the truck is running?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No not yet, need to purchase a meter

Ok. If you have corroded battery terminals the battery may not be getting a full charge from the alternator. Or you could have a draw from a module, or installed accessory that is not shutting down when the key is off, causing your battery to die. TO check for that you need a good meter that can do AMPS, and you need to hook the meter up in-line with the battery cable and see what type of amps are drawing on the battery.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will try

Ok. WHen you get to the point of checking for a draw, there are several videos on youtube that show you how to check for a battery draw.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK thanks, ***** ***** be able to connect to you guys with my results

Yeah. You can connect to me by just coming back to this chat and typing. I look forward to hearing from you. And please rate my assistance with the 5 stars. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK will do!!!

Thanks.

Thanks for letting my assist you and please give me a 5 star rating now. Thank you.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician