Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

I have a 2014 ford focus, It was in an accident and I

Customer Question
replaced the knee airbag, had...
I have a 2014 ford focus, It was in an accident and I replaced the knee airbag, had seatbelt serviced and airbag module reset. I now get an error code U0151, lost communication with airbag restraint module. I sent the module back and it was checked again and they said it is ok. How do I find the cause for the module communication stopping? I read where other sensors can be faulted and the module will then turn off communication. I tested the resistance on the impact sensors and they are both about 50Kohms.
JA: Do you happen to have a scan tool or a code reader? Has the check engine light been flashing or staying on steady?
Customer: I have a scan tool and all other codes clear.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: did you read my original description?
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
7/18/2016
Ford Mechanic: EricFromCT, Ford Technician replied 1 year ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician

Hi. Can you communicate and retrieve codes from the restraint control module?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no, the error U0151 is lost communication with restraint control module

if you can not communicate with it then you first need to verify you are getting power and ground to the rcm.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will check the power and ground tonight. I did see another discussion where someone else was getting the same error, where the SRS light would come on then off and then back on again. His problem ended up being a impact sensor which he found by guess work. It sounded like the restraint control module stops communication if the initial power up tests fail. Do you know if this is the case?

If there is power and ground to the module, and the module is working correctly, it never stops communicating with the scan tool. A damaged communication wire can cause it to stop communicating. Once you can communicate with the module you can check for any codes that are set in it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can you tell me which pins are power and ground?

Yes. Let me get the diagram

The module is case grounded. So it needs to be bolted down to be grounded. The power wire is on the 24 pin connector. And the power wire IS pin 24 and is Green.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
pin 24 to gnd is 12 vdc and remains there even when the airbag light comes back on.The Occupant Classification System Module code U0151 is able to be cleared but then come back when power is cycled and codes are read again. U0151 is reported on my code reader as Lost Communication with Restraints Control Module: No Sub Type Information.The only reason I am hesitant to just buy another Restraint Control Module is because I sent it back the the airbag company who reset it and they re-tested it and they said it passes all the tests.

Yeah that makes sense. Did you send out the OCS module? that needs to be replaced in a crash event as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, I only sent the Restraint Control Module which is located in the center console. Where is the OSC module located?

the ocs module is part of the seat cushion on the passenger front seat.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Is the OCSM an item that I can remove and have reset or should it be reset while in the car?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Only the drivers knee airbag and driver's seatbelt were set off in the crash. Would this cause the OCSM under the passenger seat to require a reset?

According to the shop manual the module needs to be replaced as well as the rcm in a crash event.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, l will replace the OCSM.

ok. sounds good.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I could not find the OSCM under the passenger seat. I see a seat heater module, passenger sensor, and what looks like a wire connector box. Do you have a diagram or part numbers?Thanks

The oscm is part of the seat cushion. You need to remove the bottom seat cover and the oscm module is built into the foam of the seat. You can probably see the connectors from underneath but not the osc module. CLICK HERE for diagram.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is an air hose that goes to a bladder in the seat cushion. This air hose goes to a sensor that is mounted under the seat. The air hose has a label DM51-603B16-AD OSC. Is the bladder, hose and module a calibrated unit that has to all be changed or can the sensor labeled p/n 28373250 be changed and just reconnected the hose?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In the figure is "9" the OCSM? It looks like "8" is the seat heater module.
    1. Recliner handle (Service Part Number(###) ###-####
    2. Cushion side shield (part of(###) ###-####
    3. Seat
    4. Cushion heater mat (part of 632A22) (if equipped)
    5. OCS (Service Part Number 632A22)
    6. Cushion heater mat electrical connector (part of 632A22) (if equipped)
    7. Screw (Service Part Number 56920)
    8. Cushion cover (Service Part Number 62900)
    9. OCS Sensor (Part of 632A22)
    10. Recliner cover (Service Part Number(###) ###-####

There is no air hose used and there is no bladder. It is an electrical mat.

EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician