James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

If the buzz test did not work and have replaced the IDM and

Customer Question

If the buzz test did not work and have replaced the IDM and all the wiring is good could it be a crank sensor not allowing it to do the buzz test even though it's not showing a code for that or would it be the PCM now. This is a 2000 F350 7.3
JA: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?
Customer: I did replace one maxi fuse that was blown in the outside compartment
JA: What is the model of your '00 Ford?
Customer: F350
JA: Huh?
Customer: Lariat
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: First used a Snap-On Solus check codes no codes available secondly did a buzz test and nothing happened third took the IDM off and check the wiring from there was good 4 replace the IDM checked fuses and replace the maxi fuse checked relays and replaced and different order started thinking it was not getting enough fuel so got it to kind of pop up with a little bit of gas but still will not stay running and the injector Buzz test still does not work
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: IPC is good IPR is replaced fuel pressure is good oil pressure builds up and also was wondering if there is a way to test the PCM off the truck
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

Hello, does this vehicle have a programmer installed by chance?

Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

When the buzz test doesn't work does it show injector circuit codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does not have a programmer it just aborts on the buzz test after two minutes
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

If the IDM is new and the harness is good I would remove one of the valve cover gaskets and see if the injector harnesses have come loose just to make sure they are still fully seated?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no codes available and I have taken off the left valve cover to check the wiring everything is good getting current where the IDM plugs in all the way back around back to the IDM plugin
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

There isn't a chip plugged into the back of the PCM by chance is there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing plugged in but the dust cover is there
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

I have seen a faulty PCM cause this concern before but I hate to have you replace it. Do you have a different PCM you can swap out? When the buzz test activates does the tach move?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do recall seeing the attack move has all the injectors are supposed to perform and then at times it did not move as the buzz test was activated
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also watching the puddles on the injectors as I cranked it over they did not respond at all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not puddles Perdells
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did open up the PCM and did not see anything burnt. I guess I can take it down the road to a shop and hopefully he has a truck I can test it on or maybe a test PCM
Expert:  James replied 1 year ago.

That or where did you get the IDM from?