Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Ford Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Ford Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

My 2013 Ford F-150 won't start it says starting system

Customer Question

My 2013 Ford F-150 won't start it says starting system fault
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: No it just clicks and the battery is the same that we purchased it with but it on has 46000 miles
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: And it does turn on
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have tried disconnecting the negative cable
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Ford Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

When you say it just clicks... is this a 1-click or a rapid repeating click?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A click every time I try to turn the engine over
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Ok. The 1-click per ignition cycle is the sign of a failing Starter Solenoid. On this vehicle, the solenoid is mounted to the starter motor and is usually replaced as a starter motor assembly (the new starter comes with a new solenoid, it's just cheaper and easier that way). Inspect the connections at the solenoid and make sure they are tight. If the connections look solid, replacing the Starter should solve the problem. If you found this answer helpful, please help me by leaving a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.
If you cannot rate or do not see where to rate, please let me know!