Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Have a 1991 Ford F250 PU that won't turn over to start when

Customer Question
I turn the key. So...
Have a 1991 Ford F250 PU that won't turn over to start when I turn the key. So far I have done the following:
1) Replaced the neutral safety switch on transmission - no difference
2) Checked rod running from the ignition switch down the steering column - it moves with the key turning and will not move farther with a pair of pliers
3) Jumped the starter solinoid both ways -across the heavy terminals and with a positive wire from the battery to the small post - these both work fine to turn the engine over and will start it with the key on.
Is there another switch down on top of the steering column I need to get to? And if so what is it called?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
7/4/2016
Ford Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 1 year ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I’m Ron and I’ll be helping you today.

Before we get started though,Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see,smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so patience is appreciated.

My goal is to make you happy and get a great rating in return for my time.Sometimes I have to give you bad news that I know you didn’t want to hear, so please don’t shoot the messenger.

It sounds like the one you replaced is the key switch, and yes, there is an actual ignition switch down inside the steering column near the bottom.

Thanks, Ron

If I have answered your question, please rate me so I get credit for helping you.

Thanks again, Ron

rpmdiag
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor