Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

1989 ford f 150 no start

Customer Question
1989 ford f 150 no start
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
7/4/2016
Ford Mechanic: Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech replied 1 year ago
Fordanswerman
Fordanswerman, Ford Motor Company Certified Tech

Do you have spark at the coil when cranking the engine over?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no

Thanks

Do you by chance have a 12v test light?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do

Great!

With key in the run position, check for 12v at the small red wire going to the coil. Make sure we have 12v there first. If we do then put the test light on the other side of the coil (should be a green wire or a green red wire) and crank the engine over and tell me what the test light does please. Either it will flash while cranking or it will stay lit.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok be right back
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There is power to both sides of the coil with the key on. no cranking

Thanks, ***** ***** so far that there is power there, but we need to know when the starter is engaged and the engine is spinning over what the test light does on the green wire to the coil. Are you saying that the test light just stays lit and no flashing?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will check
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it flashes

Thanks

Just to confirm something, when you remove the coil wire between the coil and the distributor and spin the engine over with the starter, you neither hear or see any spark at the coil tower, correct? Based on what you have tested so far, there should be spark at the coil tower with the engine spinning.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Nothing coming out of the top of the coil. even tried to arc to a screw driver.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I replaced that coil yesterday/brand new

Wow, from what you told me the coil should spark.

Ok remove the connector going to the coil and check the electrical pins for corrosion or bent pins or anything else. By all account, that coil should spark.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
checked and no spark. cleaned terminals
still nothing

Wow, ok, do you by chance have an ohm meter to check the coil itself?

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have a voltmeter
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
what is it supposed to be and how do I test it

Ok, check the resistance between the 2 small terminals at the coil with the coil unplugged. Let me know the ohm reading there first, then check the ohm reading between each small terminal and the coil tower and let me know the ohm readings there please.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
between the small pins is 1.4 and nothing between pin and post both sides

Ok the first reading is good. The second reading you should get something between 6000-14000 ohms. Does you meter go that high?

Just something again I want to confirm, when spinning the engine over, you said the test light flashed on the green wire side. Now when it flashed, did it flash on and off several times as you spin the engine over or was the flash one of 2 times? It should flash fast and constantly during the entire time you are spinning over the engine with the starter. I just want to make sure.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
sporadic. could it be a crank sensor problem?

There we go! That helps.

Ok, it sounds like the stator inside the distributor is bad. This sends signals through the TFI ignition module and then out to the coil. The flash at the coil has to be consistent in order to fire the coil. Also make sure that the distributor rotor spins consistently during the spinning of the engine also. I have seen in some rare cases the distributor teeth can wear down and barely touch the camshaft gear. So check the spinning of the rotor first and then if that is ok, replace the distributor assembly which will have a new stator inside. Good job!

Thanks

Hello was I able to help you? Do you need more help on this issue? Thanks

Ron, ASE Certified Technician