Ford

Have Ford Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Ford

Dear Mr. Penland, Would like to continue on with a repair of

Customer Question
an A/C Air Inlet Door...
Dear Mr. Penland, Would like to continue on with a repair of an A/C Air Inlet Door Assembly we talked about in the Fall. Thanks!
Peggy
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Ford
7/3/2016
Ford Mechanic: A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE replied 1 year ago
A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE

How far have you gotten with it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Penland! A sight for sore eyes that's for sure to talk with you again. Is there any way to reference the original email we had going about the original A/C question? Not far at all! Had some parental health issues that delayed me this winter and spring. But now I'm ready.

Are you looking for instructions on replacing the air inlet door assembly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have the reference numbers and all of the emails from our original A/C questions. If it's the money, I can either tip or we could do what you prefer? Start over again or continue on. I could still add money if needed.

We can continue here. What are you looking for, instructions on replacing the air inlet door assembly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You don't remember me do you. �� I know you answer questions all year long and I'm sure it's tough to remember everyone. That's why I hoped to reply with the original email. If not, we can just start over.

I remember you, but I need you to get me caught up to speed on what you now need. We bounced all around your vehicle last time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see. Well, yes, I guess we did. This is just a big project for me and I wanted to be sure I could dedicate my complete time to it. I'm getting messages about calling, would you rather?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
At least for the first conversation?

I am not set up for phone calls at this time. My phone is owned by my dealership.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see. Well then, I'd prefer to act like we are starting all over again. Troubleshooting tests included. I'll copy and paste some of the original email to ask my questions. Now that we have that out of the way, I'll ask away! By the way, you have family in NC right? I live on the east coast of NC. Hope they are doing well, as well as you and your family. My e
Next email will be Official with questions asked! Lol Thanks again! Peggy

My family are in the Canton area on the west side of NC.

Ask away.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It seems you have to put the A/C or Heater on full blast (fan) to get any air out of the vents for it to get cool or hot. And if anyone is riding with you, good luck hearing them talk! I've read that the blend doors go bad (a gear inside?) It's been like this for years, but seems to be worse lately. It sounds like it is clogged almost.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do remember you said Canton, NC and your family name was well-known in the area :d.

Yep.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well, those are the symptoms. I'd like to see if we could troubleshoot it again. Make sure something else isn't wrong along with it. On top of what you found.

How many miles do you have on your 2003 Explorer?
Have you had any AC work done to the vehicle?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Unbelievably, 245,000 miles on the Explorer. Never any A/C work done, but just recently had a new radiator put in and new hoses.

Just so I completely understand your problem, you do not get much of any air flow out of the vents, but you can ear the blower motor running at all speeds?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was trying to send a picture here Explorer of the but having a Gmail issue or Android low memory issue :(. Certain fan speeds (like 1 or 2) is a bit hard to hear?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Happy Independence Day!

I think you may have a clogged up evaporator. Dirt and other debris clogging up the fins of the evaporator which will not allow air to flow through it. Air is constantly being pushed through the evaporator and when heat is required, the blend door moves and directs air over the heater core after it has flown through the evaporator. You can try and have what we refer to as an evaporator service which washes the evaporator clean with a foam, or you can have the evaporator removed and cleaned manually.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last time I wrote you about this, you had me perform some troubleshooting techniques so we could rule out/in the most likely problems. I'll attach your email and see if I should do the same thing:
"Hold off on replacing any parts.
Do these checks and tell me the results. I'll need you to be my eyes and ears.Check and see if you can change the temperature from heat to cold AC, even though the air flow is low.Look behind the glove box and check the recirculation door intake and see if anything is blocking the air intake.Also see if max AC and normal AC setting have a real difference in the flow of air out the vents."
17 November 2015 07:33"Look through the glove box with it fully opened. You will have to release the tabs to allow the glove box door to open all the way so you can see behind it. Look for the recirculation grate which allows air to be pulled in from inside the vehicle. Then switch the AC switch from MAX AC to Normal and see if the door moves and closes off during normal AC."18 November 2015 07:53

Sorry, I missed that. Ok. What information do you need on my end. How to pull he dash and evaporator case to replace the fresh air/recirculation door.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not sure what I need? Lol I can pay the more advanced rate if we need to be really technical. I don't do everything myself, but this seems like a patience job. I guess I'm asking, should we troubleshoot anymore and yes, hoping to get instructions on either replacing/cleaning the evaporator or the air inlet door assembly.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also, here was your answer last time:
"That's is it. Since you have almost no air flow and the door did not bock the grate closed when switched to normal AC, the actual door that moves over the opening to change from MAX AC which pulls air from inside the vehicle and normal or recirculation mode pulls air from outside the vehicle has broken off and fallen on top of the blower motor blocking the air flow and causing the problem. The upper grate section which includes the door will have to be replaced."

Ok. See below.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Do you think both are the problem or just one?

When you pull the dash and evaporator case to replace the air inlet assembly, you can inspect the evaporator core since you will have the case out of the vehicle and the Freon out of the system.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, THANKS! I'LL get started.

OK>

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Dear Penland,
Definitely not ready to be rating you yet? I was hoping you would be here for the duration of this project. If you arent feeling it or maybe it's a very busy time of year for you, you can transfer me to another technician. Thanks, ***** ***** let me know! Peggy

What more do you need.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm still working on it, so if I ran into problems, I would to have you on hand to ask questions?

I am only on line in the evenings after I get off of work from my dealership. That is after 6:30 PM EST.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That is fine with me. But, after reading all of the literature, do you honestly think I could pull this off? It does seem complicated. Seriously though, if you don't have enough time right now, you can always transfer this to another technician? Up to you.

If it makes you feel better, I can reopen your question to the other experts. I am only on here part time along with a lot of the other experts. Most of us have full time jobs during the day.

Pulling the dash and removing the evaporator case requires an AC recovery machine to recover the Freon from the system. It cannot be vented to the atmosphere by law.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
That's why I'm thinking, I don't have the tools to do this type of thing. You have been great in the past, especially with the Broken Ground Wire in the door that was causing the Door Ajar light to stay on. That was life-changing! I'm fine with you, just don't want to get in over my head. As long as you are completely sure definitely the Evaporator or the Air Inlet Door Assembly, maybe I'll take it my dealer locally?

You can take it there and have them inspect it also.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm pretty sure I don't know how to take freon out or replace O-Rings. That's the scary part to me.

No problem. I completely understand. I do not know personally your automotive knowledge or hands on experience. That is why I ask questions and talk back and forth to find out that information.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just a gal that likes working on my Ford haha. This is a very tedious process for me. Wow! I guess I could go ahead and finish up with you since you gave me the documents. I hope it will turn out correct (lots of phone pics for sure!). I do have one last question; do you happen to have a picture of the bottom of the radiator? Mainly, the plastic pieces that cover the bottom hose. I'm missing a couple of screws or those black push tabs? Not sure what should go there, but I have it tie-wrapped for now. Somehow those two screws or whatever should go there went missing.

Look this over below.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can't believe I can't find it lol. That page that has the inner air deflector is the closest I see. At the bottom I see one of the pieces but not the 2nd?

Can you post a picture of this piece you are describing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry, I just saw your message. OOPS! Yes, I'll take a picture.

That plastic shield is held in with plastic push pins. We do not have a part number for that. You will need to find a generic set of push pins and find a few that fit tightly into the openings.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, similar to the others? Thanks! As long as I put the shield on right. I can always hit the junkyard. Haha

Correct. Just make sure the push pins are tight in the openings, really tight.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will do! This is a weird question, but would the ends need to go a certain away? Is the fan housing in the way a little bit?

The way you have them is fine. They just need to be held into place.

A. Penland
A. Penland